• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

keeping bore clear, of debris

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Tuftee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering how some of you keep rain,
snow,dirt,and seed pods out of your barrel while your hunting , whats the best way to keep the bore clear.
thanks
Tufman

A small piece of electrical tape over the open end of the muzzle will keep the bore clean & dry, it will shoot off with no harm done.
I hope this helps.
BPWRL

Rebel said:
Keep the muzzle pointed down.

Mee too, it doesn't have to be a sharp angle, just enough to prevent the water from collecting in the muzzle and running back towards the projectile.

I don't think that's a good idea putting an overpoweder wad in the barrel. Electrical tape is what I use but have read many times to put nothing in the muzzle end. I had a brother split a barrel from getting a little snow in it; it was a 222 remington round though.

I just keep the muzzle pointed downward slightly in my hold. Seems to do the trick.

I used the commercially made "Muzzle Mitts" for several years but they cost .40/.50 cents apaiece.

Then I switched to "finger cots" from a drugstore...same thing less expensive...the bad news is they usually come 30 to a box...small, medium, and large...the small & mediums are to small to work so they're wasted...so I finally ordered a bulk box of large size off the Internet.

PS:
Masking tape works great as well when loading before leaving the house, but after the first shot, the roll of tape is back in the garage of course...so all in all the finger cots have worked best for me as I just carry a few spares with me in the field.

In hindsite, the Large size works fine on 15/16" barres, but I believe X-large would work better on bigger 1" barrels...I occasionally have a Large size one split while stretching it over a 1" barrel...maybe the X-Large would work well on both size barrels...in fact I think I'll order some X-Large right now.
http://www.allegromedical.com/ostomy-supplies-c529/finger-cots-white-latex-p173238.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You know the party balloons that kids like to inflate, using those young lungs of theirs? Buy a bag of them. I use the round ones. The bag that I'm looking at cost 97 cents at Wally World and had 50 balloons in it. Works great - just snap one over the muzzle. They work equally well in my '61 Springfield or my Traditions Springfield Hawken. Just don't leave them where any grandkids can find them; they'll want you to blow them up for them. How the heck do kids get those things to inflate??? They must have lungs of steel!!

sneezy

All of the above! I mostly do like Rebel. Keep it pointed down, and keep my hand over the lock, or under my arm.

If it's really pouring down..........I stay home and watch football,plan my next hunt,do some dreaded honey do's or go on the forum and palaver with you folks :surrender:

I snap on a finger cot. You know, those things docs use on their fingers to probe in uncomfortable places. You can get them cheap at any pharmacy. They make for a pretty watertight seal and you can just shoot through them.

I just keep the barrel pointed down a bit, this also eliminates the need to build a wax dam at the pan.I often use a lock cover/cows knee if the rain gets to a certain level thatI feel the need, at dyas end if I keep the gun loaded for the next day I run a lightly oiled patch down to the ball and back

Duct tape on the end only.

The small powder canister I carry has a few wraps more if I need it. Came in real handy one year when my wedge pin popped out in the swamp..........

Only use something if I am where it would be a problem. Not a big deal in the prairie most of the time.

The other times:
Electrical tape, a long piece extending 6 inches down both sides of the outside of the barrel. Spares that way if I need it.

Tinker2

I always have a box of Latex/nitrile disposible gloves in the shop useful for staining, epoxies, etc. Just take a glove and cut the fingers off (ouch). You'll find they are different sizes, sure to fit all different diameter barrels. Uncrichie.

Latest posts

Back