• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky Buck Meets the Tenn. Mnt. Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdixon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The Moutain rifle won. Saturday morning, about 1115 hrs. (moving late - full moon??) fifty yard shot, hit him high but, caught both lungs. The PBR passed through, didn't hit any bone. The buck ran up hill well over 100 yrds, and didn't lay down a single drop of blood. He got about 150 yrds. and dropped. Small 8 point rack, body size however is pretty good, probably ran about 180 lbs. on the hoof. Third deer this year, all with the same gun, running out of freezer space! Lots of friends will be getting venison stakes for Christmas this year.
20078Pointer.jpg

Hi J.R.!

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil! :thumbsup:

Regards :hatsoff:

Kirrmeister

Snakebite said:
Nice buck. :hatsoff: Tell us a little bit about the rifle.

Chris
Thanks for all of the congratulations. Forgot to mention the assistance I had from my hunting partner the other morning with this buck. We were both hunting the nose of a low ridge, we were about 400 yrds apart. My partner had seen this whitetail come by his position, had it in his sights and realized it was a buck. He has already tagged his buck this year, so he lets it go on by. The buck is heading in my direction. He calls me on the 2 way and gives me the heads up, "Buck coming your way, should over there in a half an hour or so, keep your eyes open, he'll be coming from the north." I'm thinking, yeah right, there are a hundred different directions that buck can go in the 1/4 mile between me and him. Sure enough, 20 minutes later, here comes the same buck, slowly working south along the rough edge of a creek bottom I was hunting. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

The rifle is nothing special, it is a Southern Mountain rifle kit gun from TOTW. .50 cal. with the 36" Green Mountain barrel in 7/8", 1:70 twist, L&R Durs Egg lock. Went with one of the medium grade stocks, should have gone with a better grade. That stock seems pretty soft and it is getting a number of dings in it. This is my fourth year hunting with it and it is beginning to look like it! I guess that adds character but, I think a better grade of maple would be wearing better. To harden up that stock I have pasted it with multiple layers of Tung Oil, she has gotten pretty shiny. Most important, it is a fine shooting gun that has never let me down.

J.R.
That's what you made the gun for, to hunt with. The dings are well earned scars, gives it character. Tasty looking deer and good looking rifle. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VERY good going. I use a TN rifle myself by Matt Avance. Almost a clone of yours except for a plain black walnut stock, oval patchbox in iron and I had him use a Chambers Golden Age lock. That Durs Egg looks sweet on a southern gun though. If I have another made it'll be in a "B" weigh .45 with a late Kenton lock. Supposedly another decent choice for that style.

As for the shot it buttresses the old mountain man adage "Hit 'em in the lights (lungs) and they never go too far." :thumbsup:

-Ray

Congrats on a fine deer, fine shot and a fine rifle!!! Lets see more pics of your rifle!

Thanks,

Billy

Back