• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Woodsrunner Completed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...and fired twice. 60 grains 2F with a pinch in the pan
First shot low/left of 8-1/2 x 11" paper target. Second shot missed altogether at 32 yrds. The 2nd ball/patch def. went down the barrel harder. Using .530 and .018 patches from Kiblers. I did use a range rod.
Cleaning was easy despite first allowing black stuff peeing all over the place because somebody forgot to plug the ignition hole. you can see a little resultant stain 'charactor' on brass buttplate and side plate.
Speaking of character, my experiment with LMF Barrel Brown and the lock resulted in the old 'layed under a dead mule for 2 months' look, but I kind of like it for now. Think I'll try the darkener next time.
On the stock I used Iron Nitrate with a heat gun followed by oil varnish for sealer and top coat. I think next time I'll take better care of the porous areas.
Brass parts were filed and polished, Barrel draw filed and browned, gotta try blueing next time maybe.
Lot of work! But had a lot of fun too. Thinking about he Fowler, but may settle for a SMR 36 Walnut in the meantime!
-Simon
Kib54-3.jpg

Kib54-1.jpg

Kib54-2.jpg

Wow! What a beautiful gun. I was just looking at the kit. What was your greatest challenges in this build? Other than what you mentioned above, what would you do differently? Any other advice? Thank you.

Wow! What a beautiful gun. I was just looking at the kit. What was your greatest challenges in this build? Other than what you mentioned above, what would you do differently? Any other advice? Thank you.
Well, on the barrel l would apply the rusting agent more evenly, resisting the urge to double wipe it on (follow instructions). On the stock, find a way to fill the pores a little better. Watch every video Jim kibler made 2 or 3 times and then enjoy the experience! Someone on said don't work on it when you are tired, and that is excellent advice! Just get one Frontiersman!

Lotta fun too! I want to shoot it tomorrow if I get the chance. Need a shooting bench.

Yup....My Colonial is getting close, but not quite there yet (waxing the stock, then I need to "git 'er done" with the barrel). Still, it's been quite a ride....taught myself to disassemble / reassemble (properly, even) a lock, add brass to the patchbox lid, carve on the patchbox lid, inset a medallion, add molding lines, etch brass and do muzzle decorations on this one.

In addition, I made moose snot, figured out ladle casting and got a custom ball mold.

Next up, learning how to do a horn when the bits arrive :D

Yup....My Colonial is getting close, but not quite there yet (waxing the stock, then I need to "git 'er done" with the barrel). Still, it's been quite a ride....taught myself to disassemble / reassemble (properly, even) a lock, add brass to the patchbox lid, carve on the patchbox lid, inset a medallion, add molding lines, etch brass and do muzzle decorations on this one.

In addition, I made moose snot, figured out ladle casting and got a custom ball mold.

Next up, learning how to do a horn when the bits arrive :D
I did take the lock apart and milked a moose, but all the other stuff you mention is on the bucket list...looking forward to seeing you're Colonial :)

Back