• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

kinda new, kinda not

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have not been posting here long, mostly just lurk. My name is Trina, I live in Southern Oregon, on a few acres, current residents are, besides myself, is hubby, and partner in crime, daughter , my girls (herd of nubian milk goats, I make goats milk soap), 4 dogs and some chickens.
Hubby went to a blackpowder shoot a few years back and won 2 lbs of bacon, he was hooked...and I just kinda got drug along for the ride. Since joining the club I have been shooting a GPR for lefties, then last year I shouldered a longrifle with a swamped barrel and fell in love. I decided I probably could not afford to have someone buid me one so I bought a kit from TOW (Issac Haines). I found this site when I was looking for information on gun building. This is my first experience with gun building, but I am sure it wont be my last. Hubby and I go to about 4 Rendezvous a year during the summer.. I would like to go to winter one but hubby is draggin his feet :>

Hey Trina, Master Ron Scott is in Medford and he holds classes on gunbuilding. Once a year he also puts together the Oregon GunMakers' Faire in Philomath and has participants from Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Nevada and California. It's generally in the first week of May and you & hubby may want to check it out. I've been going for about three years now and enjoy these short weekend seminars immensely.

Cookie,
welcome to forum glad to have you with us. there is a lot of information here no matter what your interest might be. i'm sure you will find lots of info on your gun making project. if you don't find an answer just ask, this is a very friendly forum :imo:
again welcome and stay active

I am snake-eyes :) :thumbsup: :peace:

Welcome!

You're a better man than I for jumping right in and buying a first class kit. :winking: Check out the Building section and ask lots of questions. I've been trying to get my wife interested in blackpowder for the last 25 years or so. She used to hunt w/modern, but even swore that off about 15 years ago. Sailing is our common passtime. Kind of seasonal in this neck of the woods.

Good luck with the kit. Measure twice & cut once.

Welcome to the camp Cookie. Another Oregonian, heck before long we might catch up with all them from Penn. We lived in and outside of Klamath Falls since '76, but moved up here to Sutherlin a few months ago because of business, there weren't none in Klamath. :: There is a nice rondy over at Myrtle Point near Coos Bay every Aug. You and yours might want to check it out. If interested IM me and i can see about getting you in touch with the person that does there advertizing for it. Take care.

Cookie: I'm always pleased to see another Lady with an interest in Black Powder shooting.Wish You luck on the project! Be sure to post Your progress. :RO:

tipis: Glad to see You made it through another storm.Hope You kept Your powder dry.This one hit Us pretty hard in Bradford County.But the lights were back on in only 24 hours instead of 6 days.By the way how do You adjust the smoke flaps for thease storms???? ::

First....you take the tipi down!!! :results:
But seriously...you have to put more pegs in the bottom of the cover to hold it in the ground...and long ones for Fl.
The smoke flaps are rolled together and a seconday rope thrown over the flaps and wrapped around a couple of times and them peg down in the wind direction by 10 feet or so. We had one up durring Hurricane David years ago and it stayed up. A Little scarry :: :: :youcrazy: but it stayed up.

Very good and interesting information.I guess We should move this conversation of TeePees to the general interest thread! I'm thinking of getting a small one, 10 or 12 feet or so.The one and only unit I ever set, belonged to My Son, it was 18 feet.The Wife and I hope to hit the road soon but the cost of motels wouldn't allow much travel.We covered many miles using wall tents when the kids were little.They say it was some of the best times that they remember. :: :thumbsup:

THanks for the welcomes...I have been enjoying reading all the information found here....

Gary: I have heard of Ron Scott, actually my brother takes classes from him.. I would love to be able to also, but dont want to step on any toes, so to speak. I am going to try to go to his seminars this year.. last year I found out about them just after the fact...my brother went a couple of times...

Rebel: I am familiar with Tioga and your right it is an awesome rendezvous one of my favorites. We also go to little butte MM (we are club members) it is held up Hwy66 the greensprings Hwy,It is an awesome and new site for us, last year was our first year at that site, Its always held on Fathers day weekend, maybe you would like to come check it out this summer. We also go to one over in gilcrest(sp) I think the ponderosa mountain men.(usually late may). we like that one also. Now we just need to find one in July that is close by :D. I want to go to winter bend but hubby says its to cold for tent camping:>

as for the chickens they are egg laying chickens;> I dont eat them... they would be to tough lol, And rattlesnake is more like fish then chicken :crackup:
Thanks again for the welcome guys..

Cookies, were you at the Tioga rondy this year? May have bumped into each other and not known it. I was set up trying to sell some stuff. Am friends with John Barber, the man that did their advertizing. There is a rondy over near Redmond that is supposed to be a fairly big one, haven't been to it personally. Not sure exactly when it is though. I think it is put on by the Mazama Mt. Men. Take care.

Back