• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe6112

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wanting to build an Isaac Haines rifle. It will be my first build. I was hoping for some assistance on a good kit for a first timer. Any good places to go for a nice kit? Any direction is appreciated.

if you don't already have a copy, you should invest in The Gunsmith of Grenville County, or Recreating the American Longrifle. Both of these books can be had at Track of the Wolf, and although they appear pretty expensive, they'll save you more than their purchase price in parts you didn't ruin.

also, just so you know, a 'kit' is something of a misnomer: think more along the lines of 'collection of unfinished parts.' the construction of a decent looking rifle is going to be a bit more than the 'tab-a-into-slot-b' that some folks think it is.

I would encourage you to consider a pre- carved stock if this is your first build. (a "pre- carve" will still require a fair amount of work, but the barrel inlet will be done and the ramrod hole will be drilled) . Parts for an Isaac Haines can be had at Track of the Wolf, as well as Jim Chambers. not sure about other suppliers.

good luck with your build!

My first choice would be Tip Curtis, and I would prefer to hand pick the stock.

2nd choice would be Dunlaps Woodcrafts. Again I prefer to hand pick the stock.

3rd choice would be Pecatonica, and again hand pick the stock.

4th choice would be Chambers. You won't have to worry about quality here, except all the inlets will be overcut.
Thus by being a beginner, you will not end up with a clean build. (IMHO)

Keith Lisle

well, Keith has built a boatload of rifles, and his work beats mine hands down, so I'd endorse what he advises over my attempts.

again, good luck with your build, and send in pictures... we love pictures!

First off....how much experience do you have w/ handtools? Next...study one of the "how to" books and be realistic as to your ability. As was said....these "kits" require some know how, many hours of work and are a bunch of parts and there's no instructions.

I think the precarved stock of any of these "parts sets" {kits} will have mistakes and over runs and that's why I build from blanks. But...the advantage of using a precarve for the beginner is that the architecture is "there" and the rough inlets for the components locate them properly.

Have only built "parts sets" from 2 suppliers and both had mistakes. Pecatonica on a Hawken precarve located the lock inlet in the wrong place and I drove down for a replacement and they tried to "pawn off" a precarve w/ a very short LOP.....they finally, while I waited, profiled a precarve from a #5 blank {best grade they have} and I left well satisfied.

Have done 3 Chambers' parts sets and all 3 had over runs.... but none that couldn't be easily "fixed". These parts sets have the best brass and flintlocks and Chambers' locks have a lifetime warranty and that's the reason I use them w/ my blank builds.

An Isaac Haines LR is only obtainable through a custom builder, an "in the white" LR from Tip Curtis or one of the parts sets from suppliers.

Good luck w/ whatever you choose.....Fred

I have built two of Chamber's kits, and neither was over inlet. One had the barrel slightly oversized, but they corrected the problem. That fowler is now my favorite flintlock. Their rifles have Rice barrels, Chamber's locks, and all parts work well together. Each gun is not simply a set of parts, but a copy of a specific firearm that has undergone a long process of designing. Having said that, I have visited Tip Cutis, and have built one of his kits. I have no complaints with his products. I have bought a number of stock blanks from Dunlap Woodcraft, and have had a good relationship with them.

The Chambers' "kits" that I built were all early Lancasters and all had over runs. The sideplate inlets needed "fixin" and the RR pipe inlets were also over run. All three turned out nicely and still use, when building a Lancaster, Chambers' brass and locks and Rice bbls although the LRs are now built from a blank. Wouldn't think of using anything other than Chambers' locks and Rice bbls.....Fred

Latest posts

Back