• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
What is the most "user friendly" muzzleloader kit to build for someone with limited smithing skills or with just common household tools at their disposial?

Who makes the easiest kits?

Have built two from DGW kits, plus 3 CVA's and a TC...I think the TC was the easiest...I started to build a Mark Silver Virginia Rifle from Jim Chambers, but screwed up the wood and turned it over to a gun builder..the screw up was my fault, not the kit...it looked pretty easy...Hank

We should define the term kit. As someone recently pointed out, TOTW Kits (and others of similar nature) are really more accurately described as "component rifles". Lyman, T/C and the like are along the lines of building a model car kit as compared to scratchbuilding from collected components. I've just built Lyman's .54 GPR and TOTW's Jaeger back to back and my opinion is drawn only from my experience. I must add that I was quite unprepared to tackle the Jaeger build but I got through it with a much greater sense of pride and accomplishment than I did the GPR. My Grandma always said, "Anything worth having is worth working for." Grandparents always say cool stuff like that. I'm lucky to be 40 and still have grandparents!

Having built TC and CVA but no Lyman, I'd say TC... but then I've never "stuck to the book" when building anything - always added custom parts to make them look different like inlays, cast nose caps, and reworking the stocks etc. :winking:

To me a rifle "kit" is one of the 95+% finished guns sold by the big gun companies.
I haven't built a Lyman kit but I have built several CVAs and TCs. Between the CVA and the TC I would judge the TC to be a little more "friendly" to the first time builder.
The TC parts just seemed to fit better than the CVA. The TCs also cost a lot more than the CVAs, so I guess you get what you pay for.

I am sure people think I'm some kind of nut-case because whenever people are looking at my other home built guns and ask me if it is from a KIT, my back-hair goes up, and I wouldn't be suprised to find my eyes get that "burn holes thru them" look before I can get myself under control and calmly answer, "no, I buy the parts from all over the United States to build these."
Just fussy I guess. ::

Not trying to hijack this thread but it would be a great place for folks to also show us your kit guns you've built and tell us why you chose that particular one :)

One kit I wish was still available was the Western Arms Santa Fe Hawken ( now sold finished only by Uberti ) which actually came fully assembled, without the stock finished!

I don't believe there's one out there that meets your criteria Musketman. "With limited smithing skills and common household tools" kinda limits the scope to "in the white" guns. Final sanding, browning and staining. The first "kit" I put together was a CVA a loooong time ago and I didn't have even close to what I needed. But thanks to my 'ol man, and his bevy of tools, I got 'er together. I've since amassed quite a few speciality tools to make it somewhat easier. But you still gotta watch what yer doin', cause it's hard to put 'er back once ye've taken 'er off! ::

Musketman-

I would have to put Caywood's kits at the top of this list. As far as assembly, I needed a couple of chisels, a screwdriver and a hammer for the northwest trade gun. I used scrappers for the final finish, but it could be just as easily done with sandapaper.

Muskeetman, I am wondering if you think the overall $$ amount might be a big factor in this "kit gun" and a better description of what "kit" really amounts to.

Musket.
That's tough!!!!
Know some that would say "Household tools" are nothing more than a parring knife and a old S.O.S. pad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Others would expect a drill press as minimun (and that I'd agree with).
A lot depends on alot. :haha: Some can work miricals with a set of dremels, Exactos, and a few files and emmery. Others need a total machine shop.
Drilling and tapping, solder/brazing, and inletting can be a disaster to some,,, or a trial by fire for others.
Then you need to figure "expectations".
Back in the early '80's a friend and I each bought a CVA Kentucky kit.
He built his at the kitchen table! :: It worked well,,,, but looked like a $50 Special at Wally World.
I, being a toolmaker built mine in a shipyard;s machine shop during lunch and after (?) hours (sorta). Built-up the nose cap for one with brazing, Utilized a buffing wheel and compound, Bridgeport for pins, and a tracer for the butt plate. Engraved the thimbels, tang, guard, and nosecap. Also re-crowned the barrel, honed the bore, and made my own front sight. The 2 piece stock boast it's only a $75 kit (at the time), but, I'll bet I could get $55.00 for it! ::

Well, I have built one rifle (CVA MT.rifle in .50) 2 pistols (Tradiitons Ky.50 and CVA Mt. rifle .50) and rebuilt a .50 Hawkin from Investarms. To build the two pistols I used a pocket knife for carving shaving wood, sand paper (wet and dry) and steel wool on metal and wood. Both turned out pretty darn good. The CVA rifle was several years back, but as I remeber I used knife, sand paper, steel wool, and files/rasps. Takes time and even temperment, but feels good when done. Now I do not claim that they are museum quality, but the average person is amazed to find out they were "kits" and not factory completed. Traditions and CVA kits are pretty similar, from what I understand the TC kits are more complete than the others. My Uncle built a TC 50 Hawkin and a .32 CVA Squirrel rifle. The TC looks like it came from the factory, course he was a wood worker and had all the cool tools. He claimed that the TC was a breeze compared to the CVA.

Just my 2P.

Back