• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knife making

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rleete1948

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi
all I just got a new knife blank it is bowie 14 1/4 coffin tang and I was wondering what would be best to use for the handle I have access to some ebony scales however TFW has some buffalo horn scales also what would be best ?

Put ebony on one side and buffalo on the other. It might make for an interesting discussion piece some night over an open fire.

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Loveland Colorado

Either is period correct, but ebony was the most common and popular. It looks really beautiful when buffed up and is amazingly tough. I love to use the stuff on grips.

Hmmmmmmmm---

Ebony would be correct, and American bison would be correct, water buffalo imported from Indonesia would not be correct. Determine the origin of "buffalo" before you waste your money.

Bountyhunter said:
Hmmmmmmmm---

Ebony would be correct, and American bison would be correct, water buffalo imported from Indonesia would not be correct. Determine the origin of "buffalo" before you waste your money.
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???
Got ta good out and shoot me some of those Ebonies!.......... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Nevermind...Just haven a little fun with ya!... :wink:

Bountyhunter said:
Hmmmmmmmm---

Sorry but water buffalo can to be "correct" for knives of the 18th and 19th century - It was widely used by the English who imported it from India since at least the 17th Century.
Cartouche knives (18-19th Century), HBC Camp Knives (mid 19th Century), as well as Sheffield Bowies (mid-late 19th Century) all used water buffalo horn as handle scales.

Back