• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ks opener, 1 for 2...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
My buddy Bill Martin, (hence the baseball reference), invited me to hunt the opener with him. Had birds gobbling at dawn but they went north so we looped around and down towards the creek and had two gobblers answering his calls.
Well, a big tom in full display comes in but he hangs up a bit, then stretches out the neck with the "what's that over by that sycamore tree" look and I blew the shot. He flies up and away but we head down to look and see.
Mind you, this is brushy hardwood Kansas creek bottom with a ridge above us to the North. After a search with nothing found,we were stopped and talking about what to do when above us there's commotion and, looking up here comes a turkey, beard hanging down, flying over our heads and down to the small clearing where we were along the edge of.
It "lands", bout as graceful as an anvil,gets up and looks at us (all three of us with the WTH look.. :wink: )
I was able to get my short smoothbore 54 up and shot him at about 15 yards. After the shot we heard more "commotion" and saw two more big birds flying off down the draw.
So, here he is, a fat jake with a 6" beard next to a fat OF with a grey beard. :grin:

wvbuckbuster said:
Never turn down a gift! Dan.

Funny you should put it that way.
You see, a mutual friend of Bill's and mine passed away a year ago March. We both sort of wondered if maybe our late buddy Brett had a hand in what had happened...?

That is a great photo to look at; it screams "success". Can't beat that for a good turkey hunt. Congratulations.

Back