• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R Manton conversion?? (Flint to percussion)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How much trouble would it be to convert a rifle with a L&R Manton lock to the same lock in percussion?
The pan is lined up almost exactly with the touch hole liner, so wouldn't I just have to drop in a new lock, install the drum, and fit the drum to the recess in the new lock?? Are the drum recesses and the pans lined up that well on the 2 locks?
The touch hole liner isn't slotted, so I guess I'd just have to remove it with an ez-out??

Thanks!

Other than gettin the liner out, should be simple enough to do. Where ya gettin the parts from?

Thanks for the quick reply!
I haven't decided where to get the parts yet, but the first thing that popped up on a search was Muzzleloader Builders Supply.

The only concern I would have is if the touch hole is off center on the pan. When you screw in a drum and attempt to put the lock in it may not fit. You then have to modify the lock inlet with it's attendatant problems or file the lock plate to fit on the drum. If you file on the lock plate you then have to make the hammer fall squarely on the nipple. Going from a percussion to a flint is easier. Many flint rifles were modified to percusion by cutting off the pan, fitting the lock plate to the drum and making a new hammer. This insured the proper fit. It is possible but not all that easy unless the touch hole is perfectly lined up.
Pete

Thanks for the info Pete.
I'm just going from eyeball measuring, but the touch hole liner seems to be lined up just about perfect. That is a miracle, since I was the one who laid it out before it was drilled!!!!! I think that if the Manton percussion lock is on specs with the flinter it won't take much to make the percussion lock fit.
Yep, if I had thought about it beforehand, I'd have built a caplock gun so it would have been easier to convert to a flinter. But you know what they say about hindsight being 20/20. :grin:

Latest posts

Back