• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R OR SILER LOCK ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chambers is one of the only ones seemingly unaffected by the stacks of hundred dollar bills being proferred! He has yet to compromise his quality or become so contrary one couldn't deal with them. I know we "worshippers" of quality and integrity must have aggravated them (Always a pilgrim underfoot) but some of those guys got so you couldn't bite your lip long enough to deal. Jim and a few others have remembered when they, too, were humble "home-shop- Friendship booth" peddlars. I couldn't remain modest if I did Chamber's work! ( Mother Williams would help me here IF I could do this quality work. She has always had a way of keeping me humble. Calls her technique marriage? But, the poor soul plighted her troth and made her mark, decades ago. Good woman that she is she will honour her oath despite my "muskiness". At least I was sure when she left for church this morning?)
I vote for Siler, here, but I bet a LR could be tuned to a fine lock, too. The old Siler locks would almost fire with a slaterock in them! Put out the lights and let the fire dim. Then tap the frizzen with a flint. Observe the sparks! sub-standard junk will be quickly detected. The flint will also Plough the frizzen! Any body ever study rockwell hardness of locks and rocks? I remember when some University fellow Half-soled his frizzen with some radioactive metal. Great idea, hard as heck and a shower of sparks if you didn't mind your teeth glowing after much cradling of lock to cheek! He really had a HOT lock! Anyone know how this good professor turned out? He was a great guy!
If the touch hole is in the right place and not heaped with FFFF the "good" locks function consists of hot ignition somewhere in the area of the "hole" AND ramification of accuracy(smooth, well timed lockwork). Some of those old CVA locks were OK if hardened and stoned a bit. The lock not the user!! Some of the old hippies are still out there and we don't want to give them any Ideas! Heck, I'm the guilty dog who barked first!
Is this a way of saying I've been bested by some pretty bad junk? Fellows in overalls with CVA junk? Yep! I bought one of "their" rifles! It turned out to have a douglas barrel! :m2c:

They'd look better on a Krag, Ghost! I used to pin a pencil scope on a flintlock just to hear my friends whine! Some "blasphener" grooved it for tip-off mounts!! Cut right through Bill Large's Wm. Large on the barrel. So much for reverence!
I'm here at Crow's station, on Clake's Run. Born & raised, though, on the family farm between the Fishing Ck's (Cumberland) headwaters and those of the Crane Ck of the Green.We been here for 'bout 200 years! Not me personally, of course, though I may look it. Been trying to trace one ancestor to Knox's longhunters and one at Kings Mtn, etc with Shelby. Coincidentally, my old home address is Kings Mtn. KY!!

Hi Guys! Thanks for all the votes of support. :master:

Here's a little info for you on the lock business. Chambers owns both our own locks and Siler locks. Chambers locks are produced exclusively by us to maintain the highest standards. We also produce Siler locks in house and those fall under the same lifetime warranties as the Chambers locks. However since Silers are also sold in kit form, there are several other private assemblers of Silers who supply to several companies, i.e.: TVM, Muzzleloader Builder Supply, Pecatonica, etc. Those locks still come with a guarantee on springs, but not a guarantee on the whole lock. Yes, we do have quite a back log on locks as far as numbers run, however most of those are only due to dealers and not individuals. We fill all individual orders first, and then send out the remainders to the dealers.

Since we require such precision on all of our locks each of our builders can build on average 30 locks in 3 weeks (as long as we have all the parts in for them - that's a whole other story!). :: We rotate what kind of lock they build about every three weeks so sometimes the wait can be longer if we don't have a batch in the making. Jim himself is also still putting locks together so if it's one of his it may take a even little longer since I keep him busy with lots of work! ::

Lucky these rough and tumble fellars didn't make any disparaging remarks... you didn't know you might offend a lady!
:nono:
BTW, I'm kinda new to BP, do you folks make a Siler lock that fits a Pedersoli 2cd Bess?
:redthumb:

THAT's the kicker- HA! - gotta go EYE-TIE to get one that large I believe.
; The L&R locks I have, have been good to me- purchased from Track- they've been excellent. I also have a Siler lock that seems to be just as good. I dont' think either mfg'r makes a lock large enough for a Bess.

Back