• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Large FLAT Horns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone make or have seen or used a larged sized flat powder horn? I know the small priming sizes are popular, but is it even possible to make a larger horn that's also flat and is meant to hold the main charge?

Thanks!!

Does anyone make or have seen or used a larged sized flat powder horn? I know the small priming sizes are popular, but is it even possible to make a larger horn that's also flat and is meant to hold the main charge?

Thanks!!
You can flatten almost any horn, thinner is easier as it is easier to heat up.

Put a horn in hot oil and leave it until heated through and becomes easy to shape, in the past they have made countless things from horn this way.

You lose some capacity when the horn gets flattened, but some think they carry easier.

German powder horns are universally flat. They're also not all that big. Intended to be carried in the coat pocket, and not intended to carry a huge amount of powder. How much powder is really needed on a normal hunting trip?

I have yet to see any that would be considered "large", though I own one that might hold something like a third of a pound of gunpowder ... maybe.... probably more like a quarter pound....

I did a "normal" sized horn for myself many years ago. I didn't press it really flat, just "flattened" into a sort of oblong octagon shape. Actually, I don't even remember how I managed to get that octagon shape... it was a long time ago! :D

Flattening a horn reduces the powder capacity A LOT, and unless you're trying to make something to fit into a pocket, it's really kind of a pointless endeavor. A lot of work for no real practical return.

Latest posts

Back