• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last Day Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon/Iowa

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The season ended January 10, and I still had two tags.
I had not seen a deer in two weeks hunting public game lands. So I got permission to hunt a friends family farm. The last morning I tried stalking up on a bedding area, but got busted. A small buck and doe spotted me and headed out in a hurry.
I had done this a few years ago, and got lucky later that day. Back out now and sneak back in early this afternoon, and get on stand in a tree line not far from where I figured they had went. Got on stand that afternoon and about 45 minutes later had two doe west of me about 150 yards out in a bean field. Watched them for about 10 minutes, but they aren't getting much closer. I look around for some more, and here is this buck about 250 yards NE of me heading for the tree line I'm in. But he will be down wind of me about when he reaches the trees. He walks down the hill and stops when he gets wind of me, at about 200 yards. I'm thinking it is all over. Two other deer come out of the tree line and join him. After a minute they all disappear into the trees. Now, I know it's over. I go back looking for the doe I had been watching. They are nowhere to be seen. I look back to the north and this buck is back in the corn field looking my way. I can't believe it. He starts walking my way. There are some bushes between us to cover my movement, so I bring the rifle up and get ready. At about 80 yards he starts out in an arc into the field, looking for me. When he clears the bushes and stops, giving me a quartering frontal shot I pulled the trigger. The smoke cleared just in time for me to see him go down. I can't hardly believe it. I run up and look at him and realize how big he really is. I come to the realization that I NEED HELP. I tag and gut him, and head the half mile back to the truck. At the truck I make several calls for friends to help, but no luck. The are either working and can't get away or didn't answer. So I call my dear loving wife. All the deer I have gotten over the years, I have never asked her to help me. I drove back home and picked her up. She really didn't know what she was getting into, and I don't think she will be so eager next time. I drove the truck in as far as I dared without getting stuck. We still had about 3-4 hundred yards all up hill to bring the deer. I got my two wheel cart out and headed down hill for the deer in the dark. Linda, not being use to walking in a stubble corn field in the dark had the flashlight. (She gets all the comforts.) Her only comment afterwards was, next time shoot one smaller and closer to the truck.
Dressed out he weighted about 230, and the rack green scored 136 &3/8. Not big enough for the B&C, but should make it into the NMLRA, Long Hunter Society.
Not bad for me building the rifle from scratch, casting the ball and napping the flint.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn66/Leon-Iowa/100_3803.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Leon, congratulations...a heck of a buck and what a unique hunting memory !!
:thumbsup:

Nice shooting! Thats a real good buck! Ya'll folks in Iowa,Kansas,and Indiana sure do grow some big deer! What Caliber is your rifle? it sure does look nice! Must of hit him good for him to go DRT. Most of the time they'll run for a good 50 to 75 yards before falling. Mine went about 45 even with a big gash in his heart!.

The ball got him high between the front shoulders, and hit the spine. He went right down.
I had the DNR age him and they guessed 3&1/2 maybe 4&1/2 years old. He said he would have been bigger next year. I told him I would have needed a tow truck then. Leon

:thumbsup: Congradulations,that is one dandy buck by golly. :applause: Griz

What a hog!!! Good job my man, you should be proud and a very happy camper---oh yeah, you must do something extra and nice for the wife even if she protests-Leebone

Congrats nice Buck will make some fine eating.

A few years ago I was hunting out of my tree stand on public hunting area.
A nice doe came by and then her sister they both looked up at me.
I had my BP rifle pointing up it seemed like it took forever to get it moved into a shooting position with both deer looking at me.
I took carefull aim squezed the trigger and BOOM all I could see was a white sheet of smoke.
I got down no deer darn but I did notice a few drops of blood.
I went further and more blood now I was getting sure I had made a good hit the doe.
After ducking under the thick brush I found the doe she was only 10 yards from the road,
she had saved me a lot of trouble getting through the brush.

I hope that next year your deer will run the 2-3 hundred yards back toward your truck so it won't be so hard to drag out.

That is a really nice buck.
If you get one next year, call me and I will send my wife to help haul it out. :hatsoff:

Back