• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last Day of Iowa Late Muzzleloader Deer Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter Getter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Today is the last day of deer season in Iowa. -4 and a wind chill of -24 this morning. Brrrrrrrr. As much as I dream of the "olden days" years gone by , I sure am happy to come back to the house and turn up the heat while I eat a hot breakfast! :). Greg

Yup! Grandfather always said:If the "good old days" were so good we wouldn't have worked so hard to change them"
Like the "roughing it",but sure like the thermostat and hot showers,

I have been shooting and hunting with BP for some 35 years or so. Bought my first flinter last year and still trying to tag my first flintlock deer. I have missed some and this flintlock stuff is driving me just a bit crazy. I have no problem at all tagging them with my cap guns. Just put in a fresh load and getting ready to go out and sit for the last sit of the season. I know my grouping on paper is adequate so I SHOULD be able to do this!! :). I will continue hunting squirrel after today to try and sharpen my shooting skills........ Or lack thereof!! Greg. :)

Stay with it and it will happen. Took me awhile for it to all come together tagging a deer with my flintlock. You will too :thumbsup: Dan.

Putting a tag on one of these Iowa deer with my flintlock will have to wait till next year. The deer were a no show this afternoon. Squirrel and coyote will suffice for the time being! Greg. :)

You should have come to Des Moines. I looked out my front window the other night and there were 3 does walking up the sidewalk (single file) across the street from my house. We have deer in our front yard all the time and/or walking around the neighborhood. And this is in the city. :haha:

My wife took her early season muzzleloader deer out of our backyard this past October. I have taken one of my biggest turkeys there a couple of years ago as well!! Greg. :)

Well my .45 cal Virginia didn't bring down my deer this year but it is proving its worth in the squirrel woods. After 35 years or so shooting cap guns I have ventured into the world of flintlocks!! This gun now has been broke in properly ! Greg. :)
image_zpsyxoi0uge.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Thanks for the report Greg, and congratulations on blooding your rifle. BTW, the rifle is beautiful and that is a nice fat fox squirrel. I wish we had some here, all we have are gray squirrels, smaller but they still taste the same.......robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on "making meat". Nice looking rifle. Hopefully next year you can put your tag on a big buck or doe, with this rifle. Leon

Thanks guys for your comments. Yes I am happy to finally bloody this rifle. Now it is ready for next years deer! Hope to find a coyote first as we have some fresh snow falling tonight and I will be out looking for them in the morning! Greg. :)

Back