• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lastest Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I believe I'm done for the year.

Our PA Flintlock season started on the 26th. Been out for a couple hunts. i've been seeing deer but either they were yearlings or the were too far or they were in the thick stuff.

I'm really looking for a big doe and in the right position.

Finally yesterday morning it worked out for me. Sat til about 10 am and had only seen a couple go through the thick stuff down in the hollow below me. Just at 10 I was taking one last look around before standing up and I saw two doe closing on me at about 80 yards.

Really didn't have time to look them over, just got ready for them to hit my opening.

First one out looked like the smaller one so I let her walk. The big girl kept walkin'. she was going straight through the slot. I had the sights on her so I gave a little bleat to stop her an let fly. She wheeled and took off like a scalded cat! I felt pretty good about the shot.

I went over to the spot of the shot and followed her first couple of bounds. by about the third one I had good blood.

I know some may scold me, but I felt good enough about the shot and blood that I didn't reload. I just started tracking slowly. Didn't need to go far. Found her piled up in about 75 yards.

A nice big doe. She was quartering a bit so I held back some on her chest. Got a good double lung.

12-11doe.jpg

I've had a great season this year. No horns in PA, but I got a nice little bull elk with my 62 in CO and two does (1 fall, 1 winter)in PA with my 50.

Three of our families have venison in the freezer and good eats for 2012.

I wish you all a Happy New Year and many more hunts!

Greg

:thumbsup: Attaboy!! nice deer! ya dun good! :hatsoff:
oh..scold scold scold
someone had too! :blah:

Great deer. I won't scold you, I've only taken two, but felt confident in the shots (they were quite easy at 10 and 30 yards) and I didn't reload either. Just go find 'em. :wink:

Beautiful pic, thanks for sharing.

12-11doe.jpg

Nice doe..she's going to taste so much better than tag soup! :thumbsup:
I see steaks-burger-sausage-hot sticks in your future. Great shot angle!
Agree with RB nice boom-stick!

Back