• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late season mallards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Lots of birds moving through this past Friday..rained all day yesterday(Sat) today cold front and temps. dropping quick..The sandhill cranes were heading south by the hundreds..The coot left the lake a week ago and mergansers were all that's left today. We redeemed ourself's with one of our hearty breakfasts with a pile of eggs-toast and goose sausage fried up after the hunt. Hate to see the season end..one year older too!

Couple of mallards that flew to close to the double..Hen at 30 yards and drake at 43 yards(range finder/de-liar)
10 ga. D.Pedersoli no choke
90 gr. fff Goex
1 3/8 oz hevi-shot

been shooting better with the double than with the 1100 :youcrazy:

IMG_1788_1.jpg

Good for you :thumbsup: It just don't get any better then that does it :applause:

Great picture. :thumbsup:
Good shootin' too.

Good luck next weekend chasin' them whitetails again. :hatsoff:

Nicely done Sir,and a great picture! You sure are right about 'another year older'.....they seem to fly by now........
Macon

Thanks guy's ..I post these pictures here in hope of inspiring others to chase waterfowl with their blackpowder guns..
It adds a golden glow to the hunt..
Long past the "got to limit out" stage in my hunting life.
Just happy to see ducks be ducks.
And the best part is you get to hang out where they live. :v
Almost all of the hunts I've taken this year were spent with brothers ,cousins ,nephews and close friends..Both my son's hunt but are off away at collage and so darn busy! Duck hunting is one of the bonds that's keeps our family close.
Lots of laughs and good nature ribbing on the MA..MA..MA...MA.... Misses.
At our family Thanksgiving feast we all tell hunting stories from our duck-bow-gun-deer seasons.

Need to upgrade my camera for better detail...
Wish I had the "bling" to commission some paintings..
Now I'm working up a flintlock package for one of my nephews that just got hooked real deep this past Saturday at the range..We bailed from the marsh when the rain got too bad and the duck movement stopped..Showed him how to load the 62 cal . and away he went..shot for hours...We talked on the ride back to the shack he gave me a figure to work with and he's now a convert...YES! :thumbsup:
Might sneak just one more trip to the marsh before freeze up. :grin:

Good luck to all you waterfowl hunters out there.

At least somebody's killin' ducks out there :thumbsup:. I couldn't kill a single duck or goose this whole weekend. Just couldn't decoy them at all on the big pond. This week I'm gonna start hunting the fields instead because I always see them flying over and circling these fields in huge numbers.

Nice picture! Ive seen more mallards around the Horicon area this late fall. Big flocks, hard to decoy unless one has a large set. How do you like the hevi shot? Have you tried ITX?

Luie..Don,t feel bad ..the birds are all in large flocks and they are survivors..the smartest kind.I can go days without firing a shot..With duck hunting everyday is different..if you can.... go chase them in the fields..you haven't lived till you have shot lying on your back. Field hunting is rough on equipment ..bring something to insulate you from the cold damp ground. When a large flight of mallards come pouring into the decoys its a sight to see.. Keep after them and remember these birds have been educated since September they are no push overs!

Good luck ..shoot straight....Dan

Swampy said:
Dan, you seriously need to commission some paintings done of your pictures! :haha: :thumbsup:

I agree. They look like they should be on calenders and magazine covers ...and paintings!

Dan: Nice work, my friend! That drake at 43 yards with open choke is an accomplishment. Does your Pedersoli 10 give you a sore cheek? Mine did. Have an older (early 1980s) Pedersoli 12 now and hope to get after some grouse with it.

Dan, I want to make a suggestion.

Collect the pictures that you have taken and find a publisher. Assembled, they would make a great
coffee table" book! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, Skychief.

Back