• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late season squirrel fun !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I slipped out with my smoothbore to a woods I haven't hunted this year. The weather warmed to just above freezing today for the first time in a week or so and I thought I would see some fox squirrels for sure. I have never seen a grey in this spot.

After a 2 1/2 hour hunt. I was blessed with a limit (5) of fox squirrels. They were all real fat and healthy. I think the squirrels will winter well as we had a ton of mast crops this year. If this is my final hunt for the year (ends last day of January), it was a great last hunt.

By the way, as with most hunting, the snow just amplifies the fun. The squirrels looked as big as tomcats as they foraged a ridge away! :haha:

The only bad part of the day was the way my little Feist dog looked at me with the squirrels in hand upon arriving home! If looks could kill :shocked2: ! I didn't want her to wear herself out treeing in the snow as she is 12 years old now. She can't complain much though as she had several shot out to her that she had treed earlier this year.

Thought I would share my enthusiasm.

Good hunting, Skychief. :thumbsup:

Dang you, Skychief. I was all kicked back in front of the warm fire, finished with all that traipsing around in the cold woods and satisfied with my squirrel season. Now, because of your fancy talk I'm going to have to hit the woods with the smoothbore again. I can feel the snow sifting down my collar already. Thanks a lot.
:grin:

Spence

George said:
Dang you, Skychief. I was all kicked back in front of the warm fire, finished with all that traipsing around in the cold woods and satisfied with my squirrel season. Now, because of your fancy talk I'm going to have to hit the woods with the smoothbore again. I can feel the snow sifting down my collar already. Thanks a lot.
:grin:

Spence

Well, Gee Whiz Spence! :idunno:

Somebody had to give you a little nudge. :idunno:

By the looks of the radar tonight, your reference to 'snow sifting down the collar' is understandable. It's beautiful up North here in the Hoosier state! :blah:

I hope you get that smoothie out at least once more. Please take a camera and let us know how ya make out as only you can, friend! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Good hunting, Skychief.

Back