• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

latest gander mountain catalog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walruskid1

54 Cal.
Reaction score
just received the latest gander mountain catalog. 3 pages of muzzleloaders - not a sidelock among them. All .50 inlines. man that' sad. :curse:

just received the latest gander mountain catalog. 3 pages of muzzleloaders - not a sidelock among them. All .50 inlines. man that' sad. :curse:

Mass-marketing is aimed at the masses, the flock of sheep.

I may be an old goat, but I ain't no sheep. --Gabby

Maybe so, but the local G.M. is the only place I can find primers year round, and .530" balls or blackpowder EVER. (Nice to have a "corner store" if the pantry ever gets short of cast balls and mail-order powder).

i don't know where bs was coming from, my last cabelas catalog still had sidelocks. bs- whats up?

I was in Gander Mtn just yesterday.They have a good selection of "traditonel"bow's but I saw No side lock muzzle loader's not even the T/C or italian jobs that they usuley all sell.I think it's because of the fact that not alot of local folkc buy them and that you get a good deal on a better quality gun from mail order.Jusa as an excample I live in south Houston and I am an avid Crappie fisherman.I like to use 4 lb line but none of the stores sell it here.They cater mostly salt water guy's and Bass fisherman.The Oshmans is the same way with archery gear.No one ever buy's the stuff so they only keep a small suppily of stuff and it all cater's to wheel bow shooters.

I thought Gander Mountain stopped catalog sales for quite awhile! So they released a new catalog? I guess it doesn't matter since they don't have anything I want! They used to have a great catalog :cry:

Did they stop selling side locks ? I thaught they sold them in the "shooter's bench" catalogue.I admit it's been a year or more since I got one but I remember seeing the normal offering's as well as Sharps and some Bess's and the stuff to make them work.

I stand corrected I think.I just went to the web site and did a serch on "muzzle loaders.All in-lines and 4 diffrent kinds of Lymen GPR rifles.I am corected again.I was also able to find a spring field musket the Blueridge rifle's and a brown bess,And the stuff needed to make them work.

My 2005 Limited Edition Cabela's catalog has a couple pages of traditional/traditional-style front-stuffers and 3 pages of C&B's and BP pistols. I haven't seen a Gander Mountain catalog in a coon's age, but they always used to have a respectable selection of charcoal-burners. If they don't any more, it's a true disappointment.

As some of you know, the Euro is very strong right now, so the Italian imports are getting right spendy. Because of this, many of the gun shops and catalog companies are less inclined to stock those guns...either they have to jack up the price to the point where no one will pay it, or they have to sell it at a price that kills their profit margin.

Many of the inlines are domestically produced and cheap (I do know the difference between inexpensive and cheap ::), as well as being erroniously viewed as easier to use than a traditional gun, so it's easier to sell them and get a good markup doing it. Plus pelletized powder and saboted bullets are expensive as all get out and put yet more lucre in the shopkeeps' purses.

Sorry to say folks, but the big chains care not one whit for your or my passions...they only see the bottom line. :shake: One more reason to support those shops that cater to us.

:thumbsup:

We have a Gander Mountain store here. No sidelocks at all. In-Line only. Only one caliber. 50. Why is it they cannot cater to sidelock shooters. Almost like they do not exist to them. It is sad.

I always go into Paducah's Gander Mountain and ask for stuff I know they don't have, just to let 'em know they don't meet all sportsman's demands. Maybe the word will get around to someone important.

I remember when Cabelas had several pages of sidelocks. Probably far from PC, but traditionally styled and reasonably priced. It is getting harder and harder to find a low cost beginner's sidelock. I admire the hand made beauties for sale by the specialty manufacturers, but I am afraid their high cost will keep the newbies out of the game. At least C&B revolvers can still be had for an entry-level price. And Bass Pro Shop still gives them counter space.

Dont get newer then me.I got my first side lock for $25.00,A flint pistole.Secound side lock CVA bob catfor a song and dance.Third side lock flint Iron Pensylvania rifle.The last gun is the most expencive but if you compair it to buying a smokeless deer gun the price is about the same when all sed and done.You see good deal's on the forum classified and on a bunch of auction sites.

The way to get traditional Muzzleloading guns back in the stores is to get traditional only hunting seasons on the books. Here in Iowa we are trying to get one of the deer seasons traditional Muzzleloading only. It is an uphill fight "Knights" are made here.
:imo: No Powder

I was lucky and found a CVA BobCat for $55 at Wal-Mart. So I was able to get into MZ shooting and Hunting (Soon) for under $100 to include the supplies. I was a bit concerned when I started, could only find In-Lines and the Traditionals were $$$$.

Hopefully companies keep producing low cost "good" sidelocks. I know that my CVA is not really "Traditional" but it did get me started MZ shooting. I hope to never touch a In-Line.

I was lucky and found a CVA BobCat for $55 at Wal-Mart. So I was able to get into MZ shooting and Hunting (Soon) for under $100 to include the supplies. I was a bit concerned when I started, could only find In-Lines and the Traditionals were $$$$.

Hopefully companies keep producing low cost "good" sidelocks. I know that my CVA is not really "Traditional" but it did get me started MZ shooting. I hope to never touch a In-Line. [/qu

The bobcat can kick some ass, I own one!

Latest posts

Back