• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Latest hunting heartbreak

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale D

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey folks. Figured as part of my intro I would tell you about my Christmas Eve. Had a couple hrs to hit the woods yesterday. Had been watching one of Mark Bakers videos and was in the mood to take the flintlock 45. Still hunted for about 40 minutes when I jumped a good sized doe. But, she only took about three hops and settled to a walk.As I was putting the sneak on, I saw another doe about 35 yrds away, broadside, who didn't even know I was there. Took a nice steady shot and (Hawkeye that I am) made a perfect hit on a finger-sized brach that deflected the ball for a clean miss on the deer. That's hunting.I'm having the branch mounted. Should be back from the taxadermist in a couple months. DALE

If I had a limb do that to me I would be very tempted to saw off the rest of it and whittle me a shootin stick.
Jim

Reminds me of a six pointer my Son missed a few years ago...was swinging on the deer and just as he touched it off, a 4" sapling came into the line of fire...deer was only 25yds away and he was sick about it...would have been his first buck.

As a gag gift for Christmas that year, I had hiked back in to that area with a bow-saw, and cut that 6" section out of the sapling, attached a label to it with date, time, location, etc

Dale,

Well that stinks! At least you got time in the woods! I was staring at my mother-in-law!!!! ::

Roundball, kind of a similar story bowhunting. I have a small section of 1 1/2" tree trunk on the wall that was to be the 10ptr. of 1993. Instead of the broadhead that is jammed in it.

Bet that looks neat with the broadhead still in it...Clay's section of tree only has a splintered hole through it

Worst part was the branch don't taste near as good as that deer would have!

Kyflintlock: Hey don't pick on Mother-in-Laws to much mine has given me 4 or 5 smokepoles the last 5 years. She says there to keep me happy as long as I keep her daughter happy. Works for me.
Fox

silverfox,

I am just makin' fun, my inlaws also gave me my first flinter! They are good folks.

Speaking about the broadhead in the wood, I was burning a fire on Christmas and my son was quick to point out a broadhead burried into one of the pieces of oak I was burning. The woodpile is behind my bow target!

Dang it, I thought I got away with that miss after I hammered the back of the blades down so nobody would get hurt!!!

Silverfox said," Hey don't pick on Mother-in-Laws to much mine has given me 4 or 5 smokepoles the last 5 years."

Hey Fox, your wife got any single sisters!

I'd prolly try bigomy for 4 or 5 smokepoles LOL! :crackup:

YMH&OS,
Chuck

You know the penalty for bigamy....... two mothers in law!!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Well, try to get some time off. You know that the season will close on Friday the 31st.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings. I know I'll be out till the last minute.

Back