• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Layered charges, Remington balls, BEF life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Took the .58cal to the range again this Saturday morning...along with a 20lb propane tank with radiant heater attachment on top...27 degrees with 5mph wind...you gotta love shootin Flintlocks!

Used another set of premeasured layered charges...20grns Goex 3F, then 50grns Pyrodes RS, worked perfectly...next Saturday I'll finish off that pound of RS.

Used 50 Remington "copper covered" .570s in the Flinter, and true to Remington's advertisment, their copper covered balls left no leading in the bore!!
:shake:

I started the session using the same black English flint I had used last Saturday for 50 shots without knapping...got 22 more shots on it this morning before I finally had a 'ker-latch'.
Knapped it lightly, shot a few more, had to knapp it again, replaced it after a total of 85 shots...too cold to bother fiddling with it any more.

Anyhow, a great morning at the range...that .58cal GM Flint barrel just ate the centers out of the targets

Smallpatch said:
Roundball,

Why would you have leading with a patched roundball???
Just curious.
:confused:

You wouldn't...that's why I used the "rolling my eyes" symbol...
:grin:

Remingtons advertisment for them actually says something to the effect that "our copper covered balls keep your bore from becoming leaded", etc...obviously written by someone in advertising who doesn't understand the concept of a "patched round ball"...

Roundball!I love the way some of thease adds are worded,I like the speil used by sportsmans guide to discribe the Traditions Penn.rifle"just like the one used to bark tree rats at 300 yerds".I'd like to meet the person that can see a tree rat at 300 yards. :rotf: :bull:

It's not exactly untrue that the copper covered RBs don't lead the barrel. They just fail to mention the fact that if properly loaded pure lead balls don't either.

It is clever advertising, kind of like, "So pure it floats." :blah: Advertising like that is effective because people don't want to have to think for themselves.

Sorry, back to the subject. That's some pretty good shooting RB. I would like to give my .58 a little exercise, but when the temp crawls out of the teens I am always working. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.

I sure do like shooting the flinters...I'm off Friday and Monday for Christmas, so I'm planning to go to the range Friday and Monday mornings, then sit for Does late on those afternoons

lucky you, our ML season (NY) closes today.......ooh boy, a whopping 9 days immediately after the close of "regular gun". What a joke!

Back