• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead exposure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notremor

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to BP and was wondering about the risk of lead exposure. Only information I found on the web were the two extremes, the shooting sports are all a huge toxic exposure and envirmentally unsound or wash your hands and all is safe. Anyone ever had their lead level checked. Thanks.. TLD.

I had my levels checked, but it was not for lead...
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

WARNING: Casting bullets is dangerous. In addition to the dangers inherent in working with molten metal, lead is known to cause birth defects and cancer. Work outside or exhaust fumes to the outside. Wear safety goggles or glasses. Wash your hands before eating, drinking or smoking. Never allow liquids near casting area.

Molten lead is very hot.
Never, never, introduce water to the melted lead.
The water will flash immediately to steam with great force and violence, this includes drops of sweat from your forehead.

If you have never seen a teaspoon of water put into a pot of metal, you have missed one of the scarier sights in the world. The water "jumps" from the pot, carrying the molten metal with it. Keep your lead dry. Never drink around your casting area. Having liquids around molten metal is a great safety problem.

LEAD, A TOXIC METAL
Lead is very poisonous to human beings. Even tiny amounts of it in our blood, measured in millionths of grams (micrograms), can harm our health.

Children absorb more lead than adults and are at a higher health risk. More than one million American children may have blood lead levels needing medical attention, and more than one million children may be somewhat mentally or emotionally impaired by lead exposure.

Symptoms of lead poisoning are stomach pains, constipation, diarrhea, aggressiveness, anxiousness, decreased vitamin D metabolism, hyperactivity, muscle pain, weakness, weight loss, learning disabilities, convulsions and eventual death with chronic exposure!

Lead poisoning victims usually suffer from anemia.

And to think, battlefield doctors use to give wounded soldiers a lead bullet to bite on as they sawed off their arms and legs...

What were they thinking?

TLD, what musketman said is right.

I've never had my "lead level" checked and don't see the need to. With proper, simple precautions casting your own will not be a hazard, except the hazards you introduce. Yes, by all means wash your hands after casting and better yet, wear gloves while casting. I've been "runnin' ball", casting bullets for BPC rifles, smokeless rifles, handguns and sinkers since the mid-70's and have never had the first problem.....except those I introduced. Believe me, once you commit an error and come out of it with only very minor burns you won't make that error again......and your attention level will increase accordingly. Cast your own....it's worth it.

Vic

Never, ever introduce unmolten lead into a pot of molten lead. Freguently lead bars have air pocket. When the bar gets soft and the air pocket gets hot and expands it explodes.

Yes I have had and still have my lead levels checked every year for 30+ years. No dangerous levels present. I have probably been exposed to more lead hazard than most on this forum as I was a weapons instructor in the Air Force for 20 years. I have been casting lead since 1973 and always have used proper safety procedures and fortunately have had no accidents, but they can happen in spite of all your forethought. My doctor has told me that different people will absorb lead at different rates, mine might be extremely low. If you are concerned, have it checked for your own peace of mind. Take care, Rick.

You mean "gerk, grank, bzork" I shouldn't be "bwoing, bleep" chewing on my cast balls "dribbik, snoink" to remove the sprue?

I have read where modern "skinners" roast and then grind coffee beans in their lead ladle and some hold balls between shots in their mouths. I'm no alarmist, but that is just asking for problems. I have a catalog before me from one of the world's largest blackpowder related suppliers and they have a forged folding lead dipper that they state: "Use as a soup spoon in an emergency." Boy, if I was a lawyer I could be rich off that one. Hmmmmmmmmm. "Honey, can we have soup for supper tomorrow?"

I guess the symptoms of lead injestion - ". . . brain damage, mental retardation, behavior problems, anemia, liver and kidney damage, hearing loss, hyperactivity, developmental delays, other physical and mental problems, and in extreme cases, death." - are harder to diagnose where such behavior is status quo.
shocked.gif

Hey Stumpkiller,
After reading your post, with that long list of side effects, I am now certain that: BEER contains lead !!!

All kiddin' aside, I cast and shoot a lot of bullets and my primary bullet metal for centerfire is wheel weights with just enough tin to make them fill out the mold. Wheel weights can be very hazardous if dropped into molten lead because the clip that holds it to the rim can hold water where it meets the interior of the weight, so always load your first melt pot cold, melt it down, and cast ingots to put into your second melt furnace. Never, ever drop wheel weights into your first melt after it is fired. It's also a good practice to flux your first melt as you are removing the clips, this helps to loosen out the dirt and reintegrate the tin and antimony with the melt.

Latest posts

Back