• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking to get into casting my own lead. First is it worth to do? What kind of lead should I look for? 100% pure lead, or a mixture? Wheel weights? Thanks.

With the price of balls today it is very well worth it if you shoot very much at all. It won't take long to pay for itself.
I use wheel weights to cast ball for my Bess. Pure soft lead for my rifle and pistol balls.

The biggest hurdle to overcome with homecasting is finding a cheap source of lead. The cheaper the lead, the bigger the savings. I've read from people here that even buying lead online from metal dealers can be a saving. And, it's really fun to do, kinda addictive.

Lots of folks here experiment with lead alloys, like wheel weights and tin, with great results. If you have a choice though, and being a first time caster, you can't go wrong with pure lead, or something close to it. It's a base standard to which everything else is compared. I don't use anything else but pure lead. Bill

I'm a pure lead advocate for ml. Won't argue that alloyed stuff might be OK for smooth bores, haven't tried.
Yes, the fine art of scrounging is a good way to develop a stash of lead. Let folks know you are looking for some. Old plumbers lead, roofing, x-ray sheets, etc. are all good. I'll be shopping scrap yards because no one has gifted me with a bunch in recent years. Prices are going outa sight, sadly. :(

The cheapest source of lead is your local plumber or metal recycling center. Ask if they have any Lead Roof Jacks, they are pure lead, I had a plumber give me 4 or 5 cause they was to damaged to reuse, then I bought 35lbs or so from a recycler for 50 cents a pound. He had a 55 gallon drum full of them. All told I'm sitting on 56 lead ingots weighting around a pound a piece for about $20. I have a Lee Magnum Melter cost $62.00 from Midwway, with Round balls at around $20.00 a 100 it pays for itself real fast when you do alot of shooting.

If you have a source to scrounge up lead by all means it is far cheaper. About 25 years ago, the telephone company did away with the lead shielded cable and I met a private contract telecable installer who was recycling the copper from the old stuff. I paid him 15 cents a pound for 900 lbs of lead. I also keep an eye out at other places. I picked up a couple hundred pounds at a farm auction. There were a few dozen soft lead window sash weights in a scrap pile, which I paid a total of 25 cents for. Each weighs about 20 pounds. Also got some lead sheeting left over from an x-ray room remodel project at the local hospital.

As long as you can scratch it with your finger nail.

You might be surprised at how much lead shows up once you put the word out amongst your (non shooting) friends that you're looking for it. If you have any friends that are contractors that's a good place to start. When I got back into casting I put the word out, and within a few weeks had over 200 lbs of lead show up. X-Ray plates, shower pans, pieces of pipe, etc....

Eric

There's alot of topics on casting if you look. But at $12-15 a box for store bought ball, making your own with the basic inexpensive Lee tools and creative scrounging, everything pays for itself in as little as 300 ball, :thumbsup:

Pure lead is best, but wheel weights work. I have shot them in my rifles for years. I get them free at work. With a round ball the patch grips the barrel not the ball. Minie balls and real type require pure lead.

armakiller said:
The cheapest source of lead is your local plumber or metal recycling center. Ask if they have any Lead Roof Jacks, they are pure lead, I had a plumber give me 4 or 5 cause they was to damaged to reuse, then I bought 35lbs or so from a recycler for 50 cents a pound. He had a 55 gallon drum full of them. All told I'm sitting on 56 lead ingots weighting around a pound a piece for about $20. I have a Lee Magnum Melter cost $62.00 from Midwway, with Round balls at around $20.00 a 100 it pays for itself real fast when you do alot of shooting.

The last time I went to the recycling center to buy lead they told me they would not sell for "liability reasons". Will try again the next time I am in town.

Dan

go for it...casting is great fun and does save some $$$ just be sure to observe precautons about inhaling fumes,and molten lead will burn ya!!!! just yesterday my oldest grandson and I cast about 200+balls,from 40cal upt to 62cal...we went to the range later and now we'll need to cast some more man I hate when that happens :rotf:

if you have a range nearby just use the range scrap. my range is the police range and has been open since before the 50s and its never been cleaned. one of those environmental cleanup companys offered to clean it then they said it was to much, there is hardly any dirt left in the hill. I've saved almost $200 dollars since the first Sunday of friendship :grin:

Thanks to everyone whom replied> I am looking forward to another step in a sport I love. As far as tools needed? Melting pot, some type of single ball mold, lead, and small dipper? Anything else??

Aim small, miss small...

I like a lee double mold, About 25 to 30 bucks, and I hand pour mine because I get a lot fewer rejects that way.

It's definitely worth it. I use soft lead for rifles when I want expansion and WW metal for the smoothbore and small game ball. You'll be surprised where you can pick up lead.

I use the purest lead I can get for rifles, any thing gray for smoothbores!. Lead piupe and roof flashing is the most common sources of nearly pure lead as long as you stay away from the seams. Use the seams for smoothbores or trade. :idunno:

Custom Smokepole said:
Thanks to everyone whom replied> I am looking forward to another step in a sport I love. As far as tools needed? Melting pot, some type of single ball mold, lead, and small dipper? Anything else??

Aim small, miss small...

Greyfeather said:
Gloves, safety glasses, bundle of cloth to drop the balls from the mold.
:thumbsup:

And an old stainless steel tablespoon to use for a skimmer, a coffee can for the dross, a hardwood stick to use for a mold knocker, some boxes for all them shiny new balls, and a well-ventilated work area.

Thanks again guys. I have a .56 cal., and a .40. both rifles. So I have to buy some supplies and keep all posted. What is this spru cutter?? Are the molds clean enough to where you do not have tp do anything else at all to the balls? How hot for the melting pot? How fast do you have to work?
Aim small, miss small...

the sprue cutter is attached to modern molds it is the plate on top where you pour the lead in then you hit this with the dowel and it cuts the sprue. if using a bag mold it is usually behind the mold body. you have to soot the molds so the balls will drop free.don't know about temp i do it on an open fire.

Latest posts

Back