• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Learning Journey and Adventure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben K

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This small tale has quite a bit of significance for me, as I had to overcome some challenges and embark on a real learning journey.

First of all, a couple of friends showed me the way to cast my own roundballs. I had accumulated the required equipment, but lacked the confidence and knowledge to do it. Once you know how, it really isn't too hard. My first roundballs were wrinkled and marred, but they shoot alright for fun, and taught me to use enough heat. Now I'm making them as good as any bought from a shop.

Then, a problem or two developed. My friends showed me how to disassemble the lock, and put it back together. She's an old lock, and worn, and when I went to the range to test my new homemade roundballs, it was a nervous experience as the hammer wouldn't cock consistently. Furthermore, as usual, I had to aim a foot beneath what I wanted to hit, and that started to discourage me.

However... I had also bought a brand-new lock from Kapow. The Good Lord saw fit to bless me with limited practical abilities, and so fitting the thing was quite daunting. I was worried I might have to send the rifle four-thousand kilometres away to a friend who could help. However, I started to slowly scrape and whittle away at the timber, and gradually got the lock to fit, with a little help from the bench grinder, too. And then, of course, it just wouldn't work. The bar that is activated by the trigger was too bulky. I worked-out that I had to grind it down. Now it works just fine. I think. I do have a question that I might ask elsewhere on the forum.

Anyway, then the problem of adjusting the sights had to be dealt with. I took the little adjustment screw out, and it didn't lower the rear sight at all. So I took the rear sight out, bent it to make it hug the barrel tightly, then knocked it back into place.

It was time to test the lock and the sights, and happily the whole thing worked a treat! I could actually aim at my target and hit where I was aiming!

Then it was time to hunt. My first try saw a failed stalk on donkeys as I ignored the hundreds of buffalo around me.

My second hunt met with more success, and a big old donkey paused broadside halfway up a mountain. He was a hundred metres away, and, resting against a tree, I aimed at the shoulder. He dropped on the spot. My shot was eleven inches to the right, and the perfect height. It hit at the base of the neck along the spine. A ball to the brain made sure of things.

It was immensely satisfying to hunt with roundballs I cast myself, and with a rifle I repaired and re-sighted myself. It really is a wonderful, hands-on journey, this muzzleloader hunting.

Here are some pictures from the journey... Thanks again for the help and encouragement from you blokes in getting me started in this game.

Evidently you're a "quick learner" and a handy, mechanical person. A long shot on the donkey, but then you're also a good marksman. Don't know what your "day job" is, but have you tried building MLers?......Fred

That was a great narrative Ben, congratulations on solving your troubles and a successful hunt. What does one do with a donkey after its down? Does anyone eat the flesh or make leather from the hide? Perhaps it is resigned to be dingo chow? Inquiring minds want to know.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day! Yep, they are pests. There are five-million of them. They destroy ecosystems, over-graze, competing with native wildlife for food. And they destroy sacred sites of the Indigenous folk. Not intentionally, of course! They're just doing what donkeys do! There's an earlier thread I made about the "hows" and "whys" of hunting feral donkeys in Outback Australia:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/296574/

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Robin, some people do eat them, but I haven't yet. They can make nice rugs, but are very difficult to skin (hide is so thin). Due to the nature of the game here (numbers shot, distance, heat), they feed the kites, eagles and dingoes. Cheers, Ben

If you feel adventuresome, you might try stripping out the fillet or backstrap on both sides of the spine on the next one you kill.

If any part of one of these beasties is going to be tender enough to eat, that's the muscles that stands the best chance.

Who knows? You might be giving the dingoes a prime dinner without even knowing it. :)

Well, I might just have to dig-out a backstrap to try! I reckon I'll use the slow cooker, and make some chilli-beans-and-meat brew... I doubt my other half will try it, but me and the dog will! :thumbsup:

You are surely hooked now my friend. You can always contact me or others here for advice which in my experience is best sort prior to trying the unknown. Great pics.

Back