• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnkanun

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the best leather and weight of leather for leggings and moccasins? Thanks

Generally people use buckskins for leggings which are pretty thin. Anything heavy will be too rigid and not feel right.

My buddy, TOF says that Tandy has some on sale in odd colors which could be redyed for a cheap start and to gain some practice.

CS

The best that I have used is brain tanned deer for leggins. It breathes better than commercial tanned and is more comfortable in the heat or the cold.

I use elk for most moccasin construction, but am going to be trying brain tanned moose for a pair soon.

If you can't get or afford buckskin, commercial or braintan, for the leggings you can use a dyed garment kip. It won't look like buckskin except for color, but it is less expensive for geting started and getting some practice before stitching up the good stuff.

For mocs elk lowers and buckskin uppers are nicest, but again for affordability you can use a 2/4oz garment or upholstery hide. Last time I made some I used garment suede. Couldn't tell the diference from buckskin/elk unless you got this/close and after one whiff of them feets, no one got that/close again. :crackup:

vic

Back