• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee REAL 58 casting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobson

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have just vernierd the leading ring/ridge on the real 58 mould i have and have discovered that it measeures only 575-578 dependant on which bullet and where on the bullet you measure. Now they are rifling engraved at loading bullets so surly the front ring should be over bore size IE bigger than 580. They nearly fall down the barrel. What do you guys get when you measure them? Any comments? Is my mould (new) duff? :hmm:
REgards
Dobson

are you using pure lead to cast, as it is often said things like wheel weights shrink a bit when cast?

The lube on them should take up the slack. Most use a beeswax and tallow or something similar to coat the bullet.
Here is a link to give you an idea on the lube thing.[url] http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html[/url]
Its not eaxctly the same bullet but you'll get the idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually there are two bore sizes that are called 58 cal. One is .577 in size and the other is .580 in size. I own both. I shoot Mini balls and Patched Round Balls. I use a .575(+/- .001) mini ball for the .577 rifle and a .578(+/- .001) mini ball for the .580 rifle. Optimally, Mini balls should be .001 smaller than the lands of the rifling. For patched round balls I use a .562 round ball with a .015 patch for the .577 and a .570 round ball with a .015 patch for the .580 rifle. I have not shot maxi balls or REAL bullets from my Muskets. However that being said, you can see from what I am shooting that there is a bunch of difference in the ammunition requirements for the two sizes of the 58 cal muskets.

If you have a .580 size bore and you put a .578 (measured from the outer ring of the Real bullet) bullet, it will drop down with little or no resistance. It will also not be accurate. I have tried to shoot mini bullets sized to .576 from my .580 and found that the bullets hit five feet any side of the target at 100 yards. Not exactly accurate. It is amazing what the difference is with a mini bullet that is .003 larger. Now I am hitting the target every time (mostly).

I think You need a different size Mold. The REAL bullet is really a Maxi bullet (some might disagree). Both engaged the rifling when loaded. Both should be larger than the lands of the rifling and smaller than the groves of the rifling. The ring on the bullet act like the ring of a piston on a car engine. They act as a seal and just like a car piston, they must be accurately sized.

I recommend that you call Lee and ask them what REAL bullet would be suitable for your musket. They will need to know the maker, model, caliber, year made, etc”¦ I would not recommend using Email to contact them. Go to there web site and get there number.

Latest posts

Back