• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left handed rifle for right handed shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a muzzle loader and had some one offer a thompson 50 cal. It looks great the only thing is that it is a left handed cap lock. Do you think it would be a problem because i am right handed?

i'm terminally left-handed but all my guns are right-handed. only problem I ever have is if I forget to wear long sleeves to the range.

lol necchi. after about 40yrs of shootin' these things I finally rewarded myself & bought an actual left-hand Renegade. first & only left-hander for me 'cause it felt totally foreign & I couldn't get used to it at all. felt like everything was in the wrong place. just like with usin' scissors, I decided to stick with what'd been workin' all these years.

A "wrong-handed" caplock won't cause any problems.
I'm left-handed, been shooting a right hand T/C "Hawken" caplock for nearly 40 yrs with no issues.
That said...(for me at least...) a "wrong-handed" FLINTLOCK is proving to be a disaster..!! :doh: :surrender:

If it's a good deal, I'd buy it. For one thing there are plenty of left hand shooters out there having a hard time finding left hand ML's and you could resell or trade it.

I am left handed and have shot RH guns forever and I have shot a ton of semi-auto shotgun in field and never even notice it.
I shot RH muzzleloaders for over 30 yrs before I bought a LH TC Renegade 54. Never had any issues at all using right side locks shooting left handed.

pallyme said:
I'm looking to buy a muzzle loader and had some one offer a thompson 50 cal. It looks great the only thing is that it is a left handed cap lock. Do you think it would be a problem because i am right handed?

Pass and buy a proper rifle...for you. Unless it's a Offer you can't refuse type deal like cheap cheap.

Really it should be no trouble to shoot but since you're a right hander, just get a right handed gun and be done with it.

LH guns are hard to find when don't have one and hard to sell when you do.

I am a lefty, I don't like shooting RH cap locks and will NOT shoot RH flintlocks. If it is cheap enough you can buy and resell for a profit I say go ahead, as a shooter, RH ones are very easy to come by. Despite other posts, I have never had any trouble selling used LH guns and they usually go for a premium over their RH counterparts.

Back