• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lefty guns? necessary?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aztimberwolf

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it dangerous for a lefty to shoot a right handed percussion? and is it difficult to cock?

The reason I ask this is because I may be able to get a .50 hawkin in left handed, but if I later decide to get a .32 Crockett,
i'm afraid I would be reaching for the wrong side of the gun for the lock out of habit, of using the .50

I shoot lefty but all my rifles are right handed..The only thing I see bad about shooting one is the cap throws some sparks on my wrist but not bad...Cocking is no problem... :wink:

I have a lefty friend that shoots right handed...Has his whole life. I think its just waht you get used to.

I am a lefty and do own a few right hand (Incorrect) guns. :) I also experience getting sparks in my right forearm when shooting the percussion right hand gun left handed.

I do have a few custom left hand guns (both flint and percussion), which are great shooters.

If you are more comfortable shooting left hand then I suggest finding a good gun builder and getting a nice lefty. It’s worth every penny.

Send me an email and I can hook you up with a custom 50 cal percussion left hander (Kentucky Style). I’ll make you a deal you cannot refuse. :)

Mark Bond
[email protected]

I don't think the word ' Dangerous " is appropriate to describe the problems you MAY experience shooting a RH lock off your left shoulder. As with shooting ALL MLers, wear Eye protection to protect them from bits of percussion caps that can fly off and back towards your face. You can expect for cap shards to impact your wrist occasionally when shooting a right hand gun off your left shoulder. In all the many years I have fired percussion guns, I only once has a piece of cap stick in the skin, and then it was truly a " flesh wound!" :rotf: :idunno: I easily picked the shard out of the skin. I have much more serious burns and cuts from other incidents and both of my hands have the scars to prove it.

Enjoy. I now shoot a percussion DB shotgun, so Of necessity, I am shooting one barrel from the " Wrong side" of the gun and action. I still get stung on my wrist occasionally, but wear long sleeved shirts most of the time when I am shooting the gun( OLD SHIRTS, so you don't ruin a dress shirt you just bought with a few burn holes in the sleeves!)

I always wear glasses, so I have my eyes protected. The one time I had a piece of percussion cap stick in my cheek, below my glasses, I was firing a RH percussion rifle off my left shoulder. Again it was easily removed, bled only a very little, and I have cut myself much worse shaving. But, DO PROTECT YOUR EYES! :surrender: :thumbsup:

The only thing I've found "dangerous" with either left or right cappers is mounting a Lyman 57 receiver sight on a lefty GPR. It's easy to get in the way while you're cocking it. Probably wouldn't matter if your hand slipped off the hammer half way through, but I don't like it. No probs with the 57 on a righty GPR.

My son is very left-handed. He can shoot my right -hand Hawkin , but it's uncomfortable for him . He seems to shy off of it when it fires. Nothing has ever happened, he just doesn't like the hammer right in front of his face.
I found a Lyman left-handed Deer Slayer for him. Great shooter and he's alot more relaxed with it. That's important. It was less than $300, when I got it. Might be a bit more , now.

I am a right hand shooter. had to switch to the left about 2 years age. I have a cataract on my right eye now, Dr. will not take it off just yet wants it to get to the last possible stage to remove. So for the last two years I have shot all of my rifles m/l and centerfires from the left. Which feels natural because I write and eat left handed, I only shoot right,(strange. I use eye protection. That is the best thing I can tell you or anyone, I used eye protection before I changed.

Is it necessary? No
Is it helpfull? Yes
When it comes to ability to shoot accurately, your Dominate eye is more important. That boy in my avitar is cross dominate,,right handed/left eye. He shoots lefty MUCH better. He can snap shoot a shotgun in the feild right handed,,but we learned (pro coach) if he carries left, and a bird git's up, he connects much more frequently, plus it's handy, we cover the field better with cross carry shooters, .

If your left/left, then that's what ya are. As far as changing guns,,probably not a big deal for you. You've been adapting to a right handed world your whole life, the weight and feel of the gun will imprint on your brain, you'll know which gun you have in your hands and cock it accordingly.

The big deal is about all the lock action happening right in front of your face, but like a flintlock for most folks, it's just a practiced habit to ignore it all and concentrate on the target and shooting form.
And like everyone elses good advise, protect your eyes :thumbsup:

I'm a southpaw. Jonathon Browning Mountain 50cal
Dshoots fine. Wear your eye protection but no
issue.

The whole left handed thing is over blown. I own
10 rifles/shotguns/muzzleloaders- all "right handed or ambi." Being left handed is no issue
with any of them.

The only firearm that ever took me back was when
I place a Browning Medalist 22lr in my left hand.
All but a small % are for right handers. It would
not even come close to fitting in my left hand.

Even side ejecting auto shotguns are no big issue
for a left hander. I guess right handed side ejecting might be an issue shooting into a 50
mph breeze. Not a likely situation.

Southpaw, have at it. .02 :grin:

Hey, we're different. So we deserve different guns. I shot rightys for years because it was all I could get. Now I've got a lefty, and it's way better. I'd never go back.

Be advised that some folks will gripe about the flash from your gun towards them... like we had to put up with all our shootin lives from them.

Go for it.

I have a lefty GPR for sale in the classifieds, nice rifle, check it out. Asking 450 and I pay all the shipping

Jonesy2 said:
I have a lefty GPR for sale in the classifieds, nice rifle, check it out. Asking 450 and I pay all the shipping

Some of it, I am sure depends on the individual. I am a lefy and my father took me out to shoot at the age of 6. His bolt action .22 that was so awkard trying to shoot it left handed, I had to switch to the right, and have been doing so ever since. There just was nothing else available back then, and until the few recent years, it has remained the same.

When I switched to a left handed rifle my scores went up quite a bit. Gotta love those left handed Lymans.--Zane

I am left handed and have shot right handed stuff all my life in fact I once owned a lefty 788 Rem and sold it because it didn't feel right being use to right handed bolts. Something for everyone to consider about this left/right handed percussion/flint question is "So what happens when you shoot a double barrel"? If you shoot twice either right handed or left handed one of those shots is going to come off from the OTHER SIDE, that works so why wouldn't one shot be ok. I think many times we tend to over think our problems.

I shoot double barrel shotgun, and I shoot from my left shoulder, just like I shoot my rifles. I’m not getting your point of view because your point of aim should be dead center of the barrels no matter which barrel is firing.

Mark B

I'm left eye dominant but naturally prefer to shoot a pistol right handed. Any rifle I naturally pick up to my left shoulder. I can switch at anytime pistol or rifle without much difficulty. That being said, I have a left handed flinter I love and a precision rifle in LH. It's very accurate out to 1000yds at the extreme, but a bit different in using the action in quick followup shots merely because I'm used to living in a right handed world with right handed actions on bolt guns. Is it a danger to use either or? No in my opinion, it's just what you are comfortable with and can shoot well with. I have flinters and rifles that are in righthand model that I'm completely comfortable and shoot well with. Never had anytype of injury or craziness happening. I do use eye and ear protection though which is just common sense.
I think in my opinion the left handers are a bit more flexible but not any better than the RH crowd because they grow up in a righthanded world and need to adapt to that. Shooting with me isn't always about putting the lead in the bullseye it's rather more about the process. Shoot what makes you feel comfortable and you will be more relaxed and you can feel the zen of shooting as it were. Just my .02

I’m not getting your point of view because your point of aim should be dead center of the barrels no matter which barrel is firing.

Point of aim is not what I am talking about it is the fact that one lock is on the OTHER side of the gun and one of those shots regardless if you shoot right handed or left handed is going to have a flash or cap pop on the side of the gun you have your head on unless you switch shoulders for each shot!

Back