• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lefty Problem...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearhunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been wanting to build a trade gun style .62 cal (20 ga) smoothbore. I've been scowering the internet endlessly for a left-handed trade style stock like this one. But I've not been able to find any.
Anyone want to help out the lefty?

Bearhunter, I've read that the Chief's Grade from North Star West is possibly the most authentic for a lefthanded gun. Be sure to look at it. From NSW you can buy single pieces or the whole kit.

Talk to Dick Greensides at Pecatonica River about a stock. I am sure he can set you up with anything you desire. :thumbsup:

I've made one of the left handed flintlock tradeguns from Track. Construction wasn't too hard, but the lock sparks infrequently, and breaks screws springs and eats the detente. I had to really tweak (bend) the barrel in order to get it to shoot correctly. The stock didn't fit me very well, and I had the buttplate installed and the stock decorated with inlays and tacks before I figured out that it is about 3 inches too long. I didn't try to correct that- just stretch out a bit to shoot the gun. The distance between the wrist and the trigger is too long for my hand, so I had to heat the trigger bend it backwards and twist it counter clockwise in order to better engage the tip of my trigger finger. The top of the stock is square, and in my opinion is too low, hence the barrel bending.
I've got a lot of time invested in this gun, so I don't want to give up yet, but if I had to do it over, I'd go with the Northstar product.

Lisle George

When I ordered my .50 cal. rifle, I asked for double set triggers, and a LOP of 14 inches. What was delivered was a rifle with a LOP Of 15 1/4" , because the moron who built it measured the length of pull from the set trigger( rearmost) rather than the firing trigger up front. I recently had that stock shortened, and its made a world of difference in both the gun's balance, and how it mounts to my shoulder- even when my eyes are closed. There were other problems with the stock, and I was very close to simply buying a new stock and fitting it properly myself. Your inlays can be saved. Carving can be redone. Get a stock that fits you, and you will learn to love shooting the gun. I did a lot of searching over the years to find a builder who could fit a stock properly.

The man who built my fowler( an Eastern version of those Trade guns) happens to be a skilled gunmaker, and all he asked was for me to give him the measurements from my most comfortable long gun.

I met with him, and he had me point an unloaded gun at him several times, while he looked down the barrel to see where the comb met my face, and how well my eye was centered over the barrel. He then use a ruler to measure the distance from my collar bone to my cheekbone. When he had rough shaped the stock, he had me return and try the round stock again, so he could make his final adjustments.

The result is a gun that mounts easily to my shoulder and cheek, centers my eye down the barrel, is well balanced to allow an effortless swing, and a gun that is a joy to shoot.

Every shooter deserves such a gun, IMHO. :hmm: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Back