• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

length??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TARGUY

32 Cal.
Reaction score
ramrod sticks 2 1/4" past the barrel will that interfere with shot placement??

Not one iota; unless it is in the bullet's path.

I'll qualify that further: not that you would notice. Back in my centerfire benchrest days we used to worry about things like stock screw torque and free-floating barrels. Unless your c-t-c groups are normally less than 50% above bullet diameter you won't notice any difference.

But it will get scorched.

Sometimes a person may actually prefer the ramrod to extend out past the muzzle. It makes it easier to grab for withdrawing.
I have some muzzleloaders with the ramrod sticking out, and some that do not. No differance in accuracy that I can tell. The only disadvantage that I can see is that the extended rod tends to catch on brush when I'm stalking through the thick stuff.
The end of the extended rod does gets black, though.

Mine all do....about an inch or so....I even think a riflegun looks funny iffn they don't.

2 1/4 is alot!
Will it interfere with placement? I don't think so,,as long as you replace the rod the same each tyme. But I guarentee you'll not be happy with that much rod out front!

It'll slap around and catch on things and get real dirty,,not to mention looking like he11. A feller can get buy with up too a 1/4" with after market replacments,, beyond that,,cut it.

I'm with TS on this one. The gun looks better to me with the stick slightly longer then necessary, plus it is easier to grab for loading. In addition, it makes a good place to hang your powder horn and shooting bag when the gun is leaned against a tree or in a corner. The variations in the way you measure powder, flaws in the ball, variations in preasure of seating the ball on the charge and heat mirage from the barrel will effect your accuracy, but that stick poking out 2 inches is the least of your worries! If you're really concerned go to the range and shoot a half dozen groups with the stick in and then the same number without the stick in the thembles and see for sure if it makes adifference.

If you're really concerned go to the range and shoot a half dozen groups with the stick in and then the same number without the stick in the thembles and see for sure if it makes a difference.

In other words Rich, your question is an excellect excuse to go to the range and have some fun poking holes in paper targets.

Have fun!!

2 1/2 inches... :shocking:
That's 17.5 in dog inches... :haha:

It wont hurt, however when you are in the brush and swinging the front sight on a troting deer and the ramrod snags on some saplings, you'll wish it was a tad shorter...

My guess is, you may make it shorter right then and there using your knee and a few choise words... :: :haha:

the reason the rod sticks out so far is because it won't go down the ramrod channel any farther,it might be hitting the lock someware. its a issac haines. the rod is just the right length for the barrel. if i cut any of it off i won't be able to reach the breach with a patch.??

Maybe the barrel pin is drilled through the ramrod channel?

Did the muzzleloader come that way?

Take the lock off and see if the ramrod goes down all the way...

Let us know what happens...

Yes, I've seen where the front lock bolt passes through the ramrod channel, blocking it and thereby preventing the rod from going all the way down. This is fairly common.
Doesn't really matter.
I have seen rods that stick out as much as 4 inches past the muzzle. The only problem is the hanging up on brush, as already mentioned.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some like 'em long. Ever seen the old movie; "Sargeant York", starring Gary Cooper. If you do, take a close look the southern mountain cap-lock he carries. The rod sticks out at least 4 inches.

RICH I've got a trade gun where the front lock bolt prevented the ramrod from going all the way down. The builder, in this case, filed or turned down down the lock bolt in the middle, and also trimed down (tapered) the small end of the ramrod. Works fine - just have to remove ramrod before the lock bolt can be removed.

It doesn't effect accuracy and I've never had a problem with it hanging on anything but what it does is get in the way when I'm loading.

Latest posts

Back