• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lesson learned

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Took the gpr out hunting a few weeks back and the first day did not produce a doe so as i would with any other weapon, i let it ride with me in the nice warm pickup on the way back to the house. I un-capped the weapon to make it safe and left it in the garage overninght. Once again it rode with me in the nice warm cab back out to the hunting grounds the next day. A doe produced a very nice shot at 50 yards and the gun went pop instead of BOOM! what the hell happened i have never had this problem before i thought. was talking to a buddy that night about my horrible misfortune and he politely (Yeah right) explained to me what condensation was and what it is capable of in the muzzleloading world. So now i believe i will keep it cased and in the cold all the time after i load it and i will also shove a grain or two of powder through the clean out hole as extra insurance of a good fire. Just chalk that one up as another lesson learned the hard way. :doh: :doh:

sdhunter said:
So now i believe i will keep it cased and in the cold all the time after i load it....

I can add another very useful item to your prevention list. when you remove the cap in the evening, put something over the nipple and lower the hammer to seal it tight. I use a strip of oiled leather approx 3/8" wide and long enough to tie to my trigger guard while still reaching the nipple. That way I always have it with me, and it doesn't hurt a thing dangling from the trigger guard between uses. Could be anything else that seals and waterproofs between nipple and lowered hammer. Over 40 years in serious rain country has really proven the method.

I use a strip of oiled leather approx 3/8" wide and long enough to tie to my trigger guard while still reaching the nipple. That way I always have it with me, and it doesn't hurt a thing dangling from the trigger guard between uses.

I use something similar. I cut a 3/4"x3/4" square from an old truck inner tube. The square is tied to the trigger guard with a 6" piece of waxed linen cord.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
So let's get this right.

Whilst you were fiddling with your weapon you forgot to remove the cap from your rifle before you drove home but did remove once home but then forgot (probably down to fiddling some more with your weapon)to seal the nipple as others have said :doh:

Back