• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lion kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I got out for a little spot and stalk and walked right into a big male standing over a fresh kill(still warm) buck
I saw him he saw me and all hell broke loose, I coulden't get a clean shot with my flintlock so I diden't take it.
I thought about trying to run him down and maby get him to tree but Rita my six year old daughter was with me and christ I would be devestated if he circled back.
I called the DOW and they said I could take the rack and hunt over the carcass.
We will see if he comes back during daylight hours.

DSCF5415.jpg

DSCF5419.jpg

DSCF5420.jpg

That's pretty cool.

Sounds like you made two good decisions.

Good luck,
Brent

Thanks Brent,
And no hard feelings about the wolf debate, I get some coffee in me and a decisson about somthing I feel passionate about and I may end up not being very tactfull.
I do have red hair and am Skandic(take no prisnors) :wink:

bigbore442001 said:
Could you just leave the carcass, set up a treestand or pop up blind and hunt for the big kitty? If so, that is what I would do.
It's in a good spot to sit but I don't want to disturbe the area to much or sent it out again.
I am going to let the area calm down a bit then go in tonight and glass from about a 1/4 mile away.
If he comes in, I'm a pritty good stalker, I think I can low crawl in for a 50 yrd or closer shot.

sounds like an interesting and good strategy. Beats watching television.

Hey GMB, did you study that deer well enough to see how he was actually killed? I've heard that lions will either pierce the back of the skull, or break the neck while pouncing on their back. I ask because, over the years there have been a few people killed around here by lions, and I recall the deaths were usually caused by fangs piercing the back of their skulls. I've even read about full grown elk having their necks snapped by lions. Doesn't seem likely, but I'd hate to find out the hard way :( . Bill

snowdragon said:
Hey GMB, did you study that deer well enough to see how he was actually killed? I've heard that lions will either pierce the back of the skull, or break the neck while pouncing on their back. I ask because, over the years there have been a few people killed around here by lions, and I recall the deaths were usually caused by fangs piercing the back of their skulls. I've even read about full grown elk having their necks snapped by lions. Doesn't seem likely, but I'd hate to find out the hard way :( . Bill

I did back track it.
The lion pounced and was dragged 50 to 75 yrds before he brought the deer down and punctured the lungs(a big cat)
I diden't see him last night prabably because he is nocturnal.
I borrowed a game camera and going to set it up after work tonight.

Good Luck I hope you get him. That would be my dream hunt to stalk a cougar.

good luck to yah! GMB ...may Skaði and Odin favour you this hunt with clear eye and steady hand!

CHEERS!

Back