• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Little stroll with the rabbit dogs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A few hours walking around provided us with a few rabbits to run. Out of the 3 we ran I managed to drop one at 16 yards with 28 guage as it ran straight at me with dogs close behind. The new pup is doing phenominal ! She is staying on the track with the other dog and even running rabbits on her own. She is going to be a very very good dog. I had my doubts there for a little while but I know now she is gonna be a good one :haha: cheers SS
2561.jpg

What a great day, even if you didn't get a shot. Bonus points for the shot, and even more when a new pup starts to shine! You owe it to the new dog to make lots more trips! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Well done.Always fun with a new one. :applause: Griz

Great hunt. Glad the new dog is coming on, I knew she would. Nothing like hunting with the hounds. Glad the 28ga is doing the job. :thumbsup: PP Dilly

hard to beat a day in the bush with your dog, last spring i got a lyewellin setter pup to replace the retriever i lost in the winter. tryed all the pointing methods i could find in the books but the pup just wont point, did this guy sell me a dud? after hunting and putting several birds in the freezer this dog just aint catchin on, he's to young i figure. as the season goes on he points 2 skunks from about 3 feet, and gets a face full both times. hmmm now he,s ruined i figure. got him fetching birds pretty good, maybe ill have to be the hunter i figure, should have got another retriever. this dog is too high strung. one day we go out to a patch of bush i know theres a chicken. after about 3 hours i start heading to the truck, but my dogs gone, come on boy. nowere to be found. i call and call. shoot the gun, he'll come runnin for sure to get that bird. not dog. went over where i last saw him and he's standing there lookin at a patch of willows, come here boy. he's locked. as i go over i see what he sees. a chicken, he hunted me a bird. so i shoot it an say fetch, somthin he has bin gettin good at. as i drop my powder in i says get goin. loading the ball, go on. maybe i shouldent have told him how good he was for pointin that bird, now he figures he dont have to fetch. so im all loaded up walk over and put my hand on his back he looks up real quick and right back to were he was lookin. he's just tremblin. theres another bird, just bobbin its head in a thick tangle. i shoot it, this time i don't have to command fetch, he brings it back to me before its even done beating. good boy go get the other, off he goes. 6 months old and it was like a lite had lit up in his head. all the hours with him had just come into their own. i was so proud of him i built a fire right their and roasted those chickens, one for each of us. my favorite treckin food, salt, pepper and the catch of the day. that dog knows what were after now and gets better everytime, cant wait for the fall.

Latest posts

Back