• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load data for a brass frame 1860

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
I acquired a nice used brass frame 1860 in excellent shape. As I have a lot of 777 on hand, what would be considered a maximum load that would not beat up the recoil shield of the frame?

Can't say exactly for T7. There's that whole "15% reduction" debate going around, have heard both sides and I would err on the side of caution with a brasser.
As far as regular loads go, a .44 cal brasser should see no more than 25gr MAXIMUM of 3F or Pyrodex P. Recommended load would be 15-20gr 3F. Pressures will be slightly lower if using 2F or Pyrodex RS.

Never used T7 but I have a couple of brass frame 44 calibers that I used for years. I keep the load between 20 and 25 (maximum) grains 3F Goex or the equivalent of Pyrodex P. This is a very mild load but it hasn't stressed the frame that I can tell and it is accurate enough. Not sure what the equivalent of T7 would be. If I want more power or shoot beyond 25 yards, I get out a Ruger Old Army.

Jeff

I acquired a nice used brass frame 1860 in excellent shape. As I have a lot of 777 on hand, what would be considered a maximum load that would not beat up the recoil shield of the frame?

Came by one of those my ownself in a GreatWal parking lot deal.
Just haven't had the time to play with it. Thinking on just working up a nice accurate plinking load for feral tomato cans.

Ditch the loading lever. Buy or make a loading stand to load just the cylinder. It made mine last , it’s still ok after 15 years. The stress of loading combined with recoil wears them out.

Brass frame revolvers seem to work smoother to me, especially one that’s been used a bit.

Back