• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load for hogs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getting ready for a hog hunt in SC, going to use a Renegade 54 cal. Would prb with 70gr ffg be enough?

I kilt a buffalo (Shot totally through the neck, about 24" of hide, meat, and spine) using a .530 PRB and 90 grains of Pyro RS.

I believe that 70 grains is enough...Is that THE most accurate load in your gun? Have you worked up to 100 in 5 grain increments?

70gr ffg is my deer load and is very accurate in my rifle. I have shot some good groups with 85gr, but seems over 90gr I start to loose some of the accuracy. I may try again it's been a while since I tried heavier loads in that gun. :hmm:

I use the REAL bullet in my .54 Renegade (doesn't like PRB) :surrender: ahead of 75gr 3F. I have never been able to recover a bullet from any of the hogs that I've shot and never needed a followup either.

Whatever load you decide upon, I would be interested in viewing any photos that you deem fit of your hunt. I wish you well on your hunt.

Shot placement is wayyyyyyyy more important than the load and/or projectile.

I've seen an angry little (~120lb) pig soak half a magazine out of a Glock at near point blank and still end up having to be Kabared in the end.

I've also shot a 200lb sow with about 30gr FFF and a .44 PRB and dropped her in her tracks.

Back