• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield 1858

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been target practicing with round balls using 60 grains at 50 yards. For hunting, do I need to increase to 80 grains or just stay with 60? Thanks.

I think the answer is the largest charge you can work up to without your group opening up. I don't know your caliber, but 60gr of FFg and .490 ball killed my first deer. The shot was only 40yds, though.

58cal. said:
58 cal., Deer, 50 yds. max, low tree stand.

Here's my load as one reference...I have similar hunting conditions and use a mid-range load in my .58cal Flintlock...zeroed at 50yds, it drops 3.5" at 100yds...shot 8-10 deer with it and it really has some "whompability".

100grns Goex 2F
Oxyoke prelubed wool wad
.018" precut/prelubed pillow ticking
Hornady .570"

Start at 70 grains of FFg and work up by 10 grain increments to see what shoots the best groups at 50 yards. The 3/4 oz ball is going to put a huge hole through any deer you shoot, and kill it quickly, so you don't need to dig trenches on the other side of the deer with the ball after it exits the deer. Without knowing your gun, or its bore dimensions, and other loading information, its only a guess what velocity you are getting. But, Hodgdon's Data Manual indicates that 60 grains is giving you about 972 fps. MV, while 70 grains will produce 1054 fps. MV. That may not sound like much velocity with a modern 30 caliber deer rifle, but you are shooting a .58 caliber rifle, with a ball that weighs more than 2 times the weight of any 30 caliber bullet. Its the size of the hole, and the weight of the ball that is going to kill that deer, and at 50 yards, max, the deer is going to die quickly with such a large hole in it, dropping its blood pressure almost instantly.

Concentrate on producing an accurate load, rather than a fast load. Plenty of deer have been killed with what you now consider your target load. If you are still worried, do some penetration testing. Use bundles of newspapers and fire your target load, and then any greater powder charge load to see what, if any difference in penetration takes place. Bundles of newspaper are easy to acquire, easy to take apart to find your slugs, and easily disposed of. Just take a tape measure, or yardstick with you, and some extra string to retie the bundles when you.

On a broadside shot of deer, most deer are less than 8 inches deep across the chest. You don't need 20 inches of penetration to kill a deer. 4-6 inches of penetration is all that is necessary with that large caliber rifle.

58cal. said:
58 cal., Deer, 50 yds. max, low tree stand.

My loads are real similar to roundball's, though he's using 2f and I use 3f. I'm loading 80 grains of 3f, .562 ball and ticking in my 26" barreled 58, and 90 grains of 3f in my 36" barreled 58 cal.

I don't shoot past 50 yards, and my hunting is either jump shooting in timber or spot and stalk.

My son shoots a 58 he's running a rb & .015 patch with 95 grains of 2f goex. He killed his speed goat at 136yrds. double lung

My gun is the Parker-Hale .58 Cal.(.577) Enfield Pattern 1858 Naval (2 Band) 33" Barrel, 5 groove, progressive depth. I shoot the .570 round ball that is 278 grains. I use FFg powder, and a .010 patch. It's tight for the first 6 or 8 inches, but barely snug by the time it's seated. It shoots 6 inches high and about 2 inches to the right at 50 yds.

I've also shot the BALL-57-MINIE bullets, .57 caliber, Minie, Enfield .577", Lyman 577-611, pure lead, hollow base from Track of the wolf.
It's 530 grains. It shoots a few inches high and 2 inches to the right with the same 60 grains.
It's tight at first, but half way down it's in free fall to the powder. I don't like the idea of using it for hunting since it could move away from the powder if I were to tip the point of the gun down.

I like the idea of using patch and ball, and I believe using the minnie bullets requires more bore maintenance.

There is no rear sight adjustment for less than 100yds. I do believe it goes up to 1100 yds. I would guess that would be for minies only, but who can see that far?

I'm going to try again the .015 patch, but it was pretty tight the last time I tried one.

3/4 oz = 328 grains I believe.

I've only gone shooting twice with this gun, but it sure is fun to shoot. I really like it and I'm learning something new each time I shoot it.

This is the only muzzleloader I've ever shot.

You are correct, andi am mistaken. The 3/4 oz. ball fits a 20 gauge barrel, not the .58. Your ball is only 64/100ths of an ounce! ONLY !!YIPES!!! :shocked2: :surrender: :thumbsup:

Paul thanks for the advice, and thanks to everyone else for their advice and comments.
This greenhorn is learning, little by slow.

Back