• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock side plate metal finish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm assembling a Kibler Colonial .58 cal smoothbore. I'm rust-browning the barrel with Laurel Mountain Forge. I'm undecided what to do with the lock side plate. Should I rust-brown the side plate to match the barrel? Or do something else? What's most esthetic? What's most historically correct? I'm thinking to rust-brown the side plate and pan and polish the "in-the-white" cock and frizzen. Or I could polish the whole thing. Your opinions and recommendations, please? Thanks.....

Hi,
If you want to be historically correct, polish the outside of the lock bright or temper blue it. Rust browning was not popular in America until the very end of the 18th century despite it being used in Britain 25 years previously. If you decide to brown the lock, polish off the textured cast surface first. That texture is a dead give away of a 20th or 21st century product.

dave

Back