• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Locks, what to look for

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miked35

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes, I'm back again. Anyone who saw the caliber choice thread knows that I'm a newbie.

Next question. While choosing my purchase, what should I be looking for in the lock. I believe I read that the frizzen should be smooth surfaced. The spring shouldn't be too strong that will either break flints or rebound and also should move smoothly. Any particular maker that people prefer?

Mike

you know and this is just my opinion, but to start with flinters, just go get an inexpensive Lyman Great Plains Rifle. and shoot the hell out of it while you learn.

karwelis

Any lock that is sold by Jim Chambers Flintlocks is a good one. There locks are top notch and they garantee them for life if they assemble them. You can't make garantees like that and stay in business unless you have a good product.

Strong springs aren't automaticly a bad thing. If the geometry is good the lock will not bust flints.

I have been shooting a custom long stock Hawken flint in 58 cal for 20 yrs. It has a very good L&R lock. Recently picked up a 50 cal GPR flinter just cuz. Get one, you will like it. Exellent production gun and very affordable. :thumbsup:

Thank your for asking your question.

I was laying on the couch thinking the same question and decided to come ask.

It will be interesting to see the answers.

I have been considering having a rifle made and have decided on certain things, the lock maker was an unknown.

Again thanks

RDE

"you know and this is just my opinion, but to start with flinters, just go get an inexpensive Lyman Great Plains Rifle. and shoot the hell out of it while you learn."

That may not be a bad way to go, those are good guns and while picking up on the ways of the flintlock you can be checking out and maybe trying some custom guns and get a firm grasp on what you really want, none of us can tell you what type/style will be best for you. if you spend some time around some different options it may be worth the wait for the "right" one. it only took me 35 years to find mine :hatsoff:

IMHO, if you buy a custom or semi-custom rifle, Chambers is considered the best of the production locks, though Davis is a good alternative. MBS has some new locks in the works that look good too, and have have a reputation for quality products.

If you want the very best, Bob Roller makes a custom lock that will knock your eyes out...but it ain't cheap.

IMHO, New L&R locks have too many QC issues to bother with. They can be made into decent locks, but IMHO, they are more trouble than they are worth when better locks are available, for just a little more.

AS mentioned by others, the Lyman GPR is a decent, good quality, entry level gun that can be bought reasonably. Check for a good used one until you find the right longrifle for your purpose.

STay away from Traditions flintlocks! My first was a Traditions PA Flinter and it sucked. It would only fire about 50% of the time. I sold it and bought a Brian Turner Rifle sold by Track of the Wolf. They (TOTW) are a great way to get a quality custom flinter without waiting a year for it. Buy cheap cry twice, Buy quality flinter and you only cry once! A Good quality lock will make or break your flinter.

I'm not an experienced "flinter" just yet, but I have been stomping on the face of this earth for a couple score years, and I'm of the buy the right stuff first campas well-most of the time. It usually works better, feels better, looks better, retains a better value, and might get one a bit further down the road before he/she must/need upgrade.

There is some merit to the other camp, but if I was going that way I'd be combing the classifieds, pawn-shops, etc-right now after deer season for a bargain deal. Just know enough not to buy a junker and what a bargain is. The idea is to minimize the "disposable" rifle cost.

Now this Bob Roller...is he the one at 805 Monroe in Huntington? Very scarce info out there. I don't need his services just yet, but will put his contact info on the list of peeps.

WadePatton said:
I'm not an experienced "flinter" just yet, but I have been stomping on the face of this earth for a couple score years, and I'm of the buy the right stuff first campas well-most of the time. It usually works better, feels better, looks better, retains a better value, and might get one a bit further down the road before he/she must/need upgrade.

There is some merit to the other camp, but if I was going that way I'd be combing the classifieds, pawn-shops, etc-right now after deer season for a bargain deal. Just know enough not to buy a junker and what a bargain is. The idea is to minimize the "disposable" rifle cost.

Now this Bob Roller...is he the one at 805 Monroe in Huntington? Very scarce info out there. I don't need his services just yet, but will put his contact info on the list of peeps.

That's my way of thinking. I always buy as much as I can afford (which isn't always alot). There's nothing worse than fighting poor equipment, no matter what it may be. Looking to purchase a finished gun. Too many unfinished projects now to start another. The biggest is our 1880's farmhouse. That should keep me going for the next 10 years, lol.

Mike

the lyman is more than a "decent" rifle. granted, its a factory gun, and the kits are very afordable. and you can do up grades on them. new locks and triggers. mine is still stock! and i love shooting it! its a reliable nail driver! and the only people that talk down to the GPR, have never owned one. i also own an Isaac Haines Lancaster, and a Becks, i built both, both are great shooters, and they have the whizbang locks, triggers and barrels, but to tell you the truth, i still love my GPR! and i take it out most often. get your self a "kit" GPR build it yourself! its dead easy, and you have lots of help here. when your done you WILL KNOW FLINTLOCKS! i promise you will not regret it! no go sling lead and burn powder!

karwelis

my "wee bestie"
GPR001.jpg

I didn't mean to "run down" any particular rifle. That's way out of my realm of experience in this area. You say GPR good, fine by me.

I just know that exchange rates have driven import prices way up to nearly that of some domestic offerings, so that the gap isn't that big.

Example: Pedersoli Frontier at DGW- 700
TN rifle complete at TVMuz 850

But then the GPR is 532 at DGW.

And I'm sure there are less expensive outlets. I'll certainly be "pawn shopping" for something to bust flints in while I build the other one. :grin:

:v

i agree with the K-man... but i'd never give up my T/C Renegade. had it for nearly twentyfive years and it has served me well in good times and bad.

you can't go wrong with one of Chambers' locks... the world just isn't constructed that way.

good luck!

WadePatton said:

I don't know his address, but he is from Huntington. He makes an eye popping custom English lock from rough cast L&R lock plate, cock and frizzen. All of the springs and internals are custom made in his shop.

He also makes a Germanic lock, but I haven't seen one of those. Super good locks, but they are also the most expensive.

Don't ask him to modify an existing lock. He won't do it.

Back