• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Range Muzzle Loading in the UK, 2024

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there accommodations? I cannot shoot from prone any longer, I have a three level fusion of cervical spine. (No problem laying down, just can’t raise my head! 😂
Yes, we have had shooters with neck, back or knee problems shooting from a bench. Some have a permanent disability, one just ‘put his back out’ and fired from a bench until recovered, and now back shooting prone. We want to enable shooters to continue to enjoy their sport.

David

Are there accommodations? I cannot shoot from prone any longer, I have a three level fusion of cervical spine. (No problem laying down, just can’t raise my head! 😂
Bad Karma

I have explored a medical waiver with the NMLRA and their Chief Range Officer and have found them to be very helpful. They required proof of condition. I have never been told "no, you can't play". The only down side is your score will not be counted for a win or loose while using a device for your condition. Not a big deal for me, I go to watch and learn. 21 screws, 2bars and a plate.
Kno-ie

The MLAGB and Long Range Rifles Branch permit shooters with a genuine medical reason why they cannot shoot prone, to shoot seated at a bench. The rifle is however supported in the same manner as those shooting prone - in this case the only permitted support is a two-point sling. This is not bench rest shooting. No competitive advantage has been seen to be gained - indeed the shooter is more exposed to buffeting from the wind for example. There’s no medical scrutiny, just a shooter’s declaration on the entry form that they cannot shoot prone or find it very uncomfortable. This has enabled some who would have had to pack up the sport they enjoy to continue to compete. We’ve been permitting this in the Branch for a couple of years or so now.

David

Many thanks, Sir.

Thanks fellas! I hadn’t even considered that they might make allowances like this. I do a fair amount of long range shooting but only informally and with friends. Need to look into this further…

You'll need to address your queries to Fleener, here on the forum - he is a famous and highly-regarded competitive long-range shooter in the USA.

Hmmm. I guess I could supply an X-Ray of four fused vertebra, but confess I have never done a screw and plate count.
David, thank you once again for sharing your MLAGB experiences with us -- and providing the photos that help to "put us at Bisley." You've been wonderfully loyal to the LRML discipline for decades. I've spent many happy hours reading on Researchpress.co.uk.

Hmmm. I guess I could supply an X-Ray of four fused vertebra, but confess I have never done a screw and plate count.
David, thank you once again for sharing your MLAGB experiences with us -- and providing the photos that help to "put us at Bisley." You've been wonderfully loyal to the LRML discipline for decades. I've spent many happy hours reading on Researchpress.co.uk.
I don’t know if I kept any X-rays or anything. Mrs. Karma may have. Not sure why exactly. Possibly for a scrapbook called “Grandpa’s worst decisions”?

Ditto for the value of Mr. Minshalls website and books. Whether or not you ever shoot longer than a hundred yards it’s very interesting reading.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, is the Enfield match rifle the military three band or a different model purpose built for match shooting?

I dont want to derail David's thread and I also dont know that I can live up to TFoley's kind remarks, but Bad Karma you should check out the Creedmoor 150 match that Rick Weber is hosting later this year. I know for a fact that he is allowing shooters with disabilities to shoot in the match with aids to help them.

Fleener

I dont want to derail David's thread and I also dont know that I can live up to TFoley's kind remarks, but Bad Karma you should check out the Creedmoor 150 match that Rick Weber is hosting later this year. I know for a fact that he is allowing shooters with disabilities to shoot in the match with aids to help them.

Fleener
Thanks for that, I can manage any position but prone. Not sure how they would handle that but I’ll ask…

Forgive my ignorance, is the Enfield match rifle the military three band or a different model purpose built for match shooting?
The MLAGB hold National Rifle Championship matches for Enfields fired at 200, 300, 500 and 600 yards. These are for Pattern Enfield rifles (i.e. original military pattern) - most people tend to use the two-band Short Rifles, although from time to time the three band P.53 will be seen. We get a good mix of original and reproduction on the ranges. Some more info. here - Long Range Shooting with the Military Muzzle Loading Rifle

Back