• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lookin to buy another Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcompton35603

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am lookin to buy another Hawken, I found a TC Hawken in .45 for $300, seriously thinking I might just buy it. I have a .50 Hawken, mine is marked Investarms Italy. Bottomline, will a .45 take down a deer at 100 yds?

In theory, yes a 45 will kill a deer at 100 yards and SOME will argue that it is a GREAT caliber BUT.....

Personally I think it a bit light in the loafers for deer. I DO understand the NEED for multiple guns :grin: I would suggest going the OTHER Direction and getting a .54, maybe a .58. Now THAT is a dead deer and fun to shoot too!

:thumbsup:

Well bcompton, you really need a .45, a 50, and a .54. :wink: A .58 is gravy - but really fun. So plan on getting one of those too. :haha:

The order doesn't make much difference, but if I had a .50 already my second one would be a .54. I'm not a fan of .45 patched balls for deer and would recommend use of a conical in that caliber for anything beyond bow range (don't flame me guys - that's just my preference).

bcompton35603 said:
I am lookin to buy another Hawken, I found a TC Hawken in .45 for $300, seriously thinking I might just buy it. I have a .50 Hawken, mine is marked Investarms Italy. Bottomline, will a .45 take down a deer at 100 yds?

If you are looking to have fun I would buy the 45, if you are looking to hunt deer, listen to Wattsy and then send R.E. a PM.

Just my thoughts, everyone should have a 45 and hunt deer with a 54.

RDE

I use nothing but 45's on Ohio white tails, prb for fifty yrds or less, Hollow based mini's if I am hunting open fields where shots up to 150 yrds are possible. YES I said 150 yrds. I shot right through a large doe taking out two ribs high and shattering her back, then crippling a button buck that was standing behind her at 145 yrds with the hollow based mini in front of 75 grains FFF. ( 1/48 twist )(That shot was taken with a steady rest and a standing broadside shot. With the old eyes I don't shoot that long any more. But the gun is capable of it) Two deer with one shot shows what the guns are capable of.

All good info here. If you insist on hunting deer with a .45,, definitely use conicals, or if you prefer PRBs, definitely keep your shots this side of 50yds.

The barrel is 28". I,m not sure of the rate of twist, but I thought T/C Hawkens were 1:48

I used PRB's for years and had good luck with them in a .50 Hawken, then I switched to T/C maxi-hunters and now I have great success

I would not hesitate to hunt whitetails with my TC .45 and a PRB. It is accurate and shoots pretty fast. But, in my state a .45 must have a 170 grain minimum projectile for deer, so that puts it out of the running for me since I prefer to hunt with prb.

It's my got-to varmint gun.

bcompton35603 said:
T/C's .45cal Hawken with a 28" x 1:48" barrel is an excellent one offering a lot of flexibility.

IMO, the 128grn PRB is great for deer...and while I'm sure deer have been taken with it at longer ranges, I personally think of it in terms of a 75 yard deer load. And it's also economical to play with year round and use for small game.

It also has the added benefit of shooting T/C's 255grn Maxi-Hunter (Maxi-Hunter) like the proverbial tack driver and that size conical is pretty flat shooting and devastating on deer out to the longer ranges...a very versatile caliber in T/Cs 1:48" barrel.
90grns Goex 2F (FFg)
.45cal Oxyoke Wonderwad
.45cal/255grn T/C Maxi-Hunter

Back