• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Looking for a "3 bander"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a young guy and I have recently gotten into civil war reenacting and, while it's alot of fun, I have been using an 1863 "zouave" rifle because i was able to get it cheap and I feel like a total FARB using it during reenactments especially around the public. So I would like to find a 3 bander, whether its an enfield, a Springfield, or even one of the austrian rifles. Just aslong as it is something that was actually used in the war. A rifle with a good bore preffered, whether it's a reproduction or an original doesn't matter, thanks for looking

Last edited:
If you join a unit they should let you know what to carry for their events. If you haven’t done this I suggest that you do before committing to a given musket. Do you want to just pop off blanks or do you want a “shooter”? Reproduction or original? Condition? If a reproduction do you want it defarbed? Lots to think about. Others will be along shortly with their own advice.

If you join a unit they should let you know what to carry for their events. If you haven’t done this I suggest that you do before committing to a given musket. Do you want to just pop off blanks or do you want a “shooter”? Reproduction or original? Condition? If a reproduction do you want it defarbed? Lots to think about. Others will be along shortly with their own advice.
Hey, i bought the 2 bander zouave months before joining my unit, it a zoli with a beautiful barrel and awesome accuracy. But it was the only thing I had for a period firearm. so my unit (first nebraska volunteers) they are all using enfields, springfield 1861s, and even a smooth bore 1842. We are a western theatre unit so maybe there is some leeway when it comes to uniformity. But I would still like a 3 bander so I can use my bayonet and stack arms with everyone else. My budget is about a grand. So probably a preproduction. Having a barrel good enough to shoot live rounds is a plus. And I don't care about if a rifle is defarbed when my current rifle is a farb itself haha

Depending on what kind of impression you’re doing, Federal or Confederate, and just how far you want to take your impression, meaning how accurate you would like to be, the sky is the limit (depending also on how many green backs you have).

I would suggest an 1853 Enfield three band to start off with. It was used by both sides and is good for early or late war reenactments. Do some reading to tweak your impressions. Time Life Published a great set of books “Echoes of Glory” several years ago. There’s a volume on Federal forces and a volume on Confederate forces showing original arms and accoutrements.

Do that before you start buying things.

Google search for Civil War Sutlers and you’ll find a bunch of good folks that have some really nice equipment.

Depending on what kind of impression you’re doing, Federal or Confederate, and just how far you want to take your impression, meaning how accurate you would like to be, the sky is the limit (depending also on how many green backs you have).

I would suggest an 1853 Enfield three band to start off with. It was used by both sides and is good for early or late war reenactments. Do some reading to tweak your impressions. Time Life Published a great set of books “Echoes of Glory” several years ago. There’s a volume on Federal forces and a volume on Confederate forces showing original arms and accoutrements.

Do that before you start buying things.

Google search for Civil War Sutlers and you’ll find a bunch of good folks that have some really nice equipment.
I was looking and saw that IMA has original enfields for sale, are those IMA ones any good?

I wouldn’t have any idea of the condition of IMA surplus. Probably rode hard and put up wet.

A good impression would be a soldier with a fairly new looking rifle. The soldiers took pretty good care of them throughout the war.

Federal impressions are going to be fairly uniform from soldier to soldier. They got their supplies on a more regular schedule than we did.

The few muskets I’ve seen on IMA in your budget have been pretty rough or Nepalese imports. I agree with @Secesh - a good condition reproduction is your best bet. IMHO.

I have bought a dozen or so reproduction long guns in the past few years. I’ve shopped Gunbroker, N-SSA, Gunsinternational, Gunsamerica… I’ve not yet had to buy a new reproduction to get what I wanted. Saved a lot of money, too. Good luck Amigo!

IMA arms came from a Nepalese armory that had been neglected for over 100 years. Some are near relic condition, the good ones have been hand selected but are more expensive and I'm not sure of the condition of the bore. I'd recommend a repro.

IMA arms came from a Nepalese armory that had been neglected for over 100 years. Some are near relic condition, the good ones have been hand selected but are more expensive and I'm not sure of the condition of the bore. I'd recommend a repro.

I own a couple from them and this is a very accurate description of their condition. I have shot both of mine…and they do have a great look…but if I were planning to shoot regularly I would certainly buy a replica to get better reliability and because parts to repair them are readily available

Hello all, I'm a young guy and I have recently gotten into civil war reenacting and, while it's alot of fun, I have been using an 1863 "zouave" rifle because i was able to get it cheap and I feel like a total FARB using it during reenactments especially around the public. So I would like to find a 3 bander, whether its an enfield, a Springfield, or even one of the austrian rifles. Just aslong as it is something that was actually used in the war. A rifle with a good bore preffered, whether it's a reproduction or an original doesn't matter, thanks for looking
I have a original springfield 1863

I've got a restored 1861 Springfield that looks good and shoots well if you are interested. I will sell it for a comparable price to most of the repros.

Last edited:
I have a 61 Springfield, a Colt Special Musket, both are rifled with good bores. I have an H & P conversion .69 caliber rifled NJ market. I also have a Potsdamn smoother bore. Price range from $950 to $1750. Let me know if you wand any more info or pictures. All these are originals.

Tom

Back