• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a vendor to gold plate firearm parts.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like to have the brass trigger guard on my revolver gold plated so I no longer need to polish it.

Can anyone recommend a vendor who can do this?

Thanks,

I don't know anybody that does that. I wonder if you could get it done by a jeweler. Not the teeny bopper chicks selling jewelry at the mall, but an actual shop. If none of our fine craftsmen here can do it that might be an avenue to consider.

From a durability standpoint you couldn't make a poorer choice than gold to plate a trigger guard. Gold on a firearm is only suitable for filling engraved or stamped areas that aren't exposed to contact with or rubbing against anything. Let your brass assume a natural patina. Polished brass is only for display firearms that nobody plays with. Even if careful the thin gold plate will wear off rather quickly. Just food for thought.

From a durability standpoint you couldn't make a poorer choice than gold to plate a trigger guard. Gold on a firearm is only suitable for filling engraved or stamped areas that aren't exposed to contact with or rubbing against anything. Let your brass assume a natural patina. Polished brass is only for display firearms that nobody plays with. Even if careful the thin gold plate will wear off rather quickly. Just food for thought.
True, will be very costly to have done and will wear off quickly. That kind of gold plating is suitable only for presentation pieces that are displayed but not handled.

From a durability standpoint you couldn't make a poorer choice than gold to plate a trigger guard. Gold on a firearm is only suitable for filling engraved or stamped areas that aren't exposed to contact with or rubbing against anything.
Evidently there are many different ways to do gold plating. The thickness can vary, and the alloy can vary, which changes the durability of the plating.

https://artisanplating.com/plating-services/gold-plating/

Let your brass assume a natural patina. Polished brass is only for display firearms that nobody plays with. Even if careful the thin gold plate will wear off rather quickly. Just food for thought.
I keep all the brass on my guns well polished. I shoot competitively and polishing the brass is part of cleaning all of my competition guns. I feel like Civil War soldiers would have been required to do so. Plus I want to keep my guns in top-notch shape.

It’s rather easy 😎

Attachments

• IMG_2382.jpeg
    IMG_2382.jpeg
    18.4 KB
Look into the HCCA (horseless carriage club of america) as people will often have their early cars brass plated so they don't need to polish.

Latest posts

Back