• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for help??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one shot 52

32 Cal.
Reaction score
would like to try a blackpowder revolver need help which one would be good to start with what caliber loads accesories THANKS for your HELP

A good starter would be the Remington 1858 Army in 44cal. With the top strap it is a little stronger than the Colts. At the same time, nothing beats the feel of an 1851 Colt Navy .36. Both are good guns. Stop by a store that has them on hand and handle a few. Don't forget the Walker for power! In other words, there are lots of goood choices. You have to buy what fits YOU.

Merdean

I'm very happy with my Uberti 1860.

Much of it depends on what appeals to you. The Remingtons are said to be stronger because of the topstrap, but there are plenty of Colts out there with many thousands of rounds through them without a problem.

I would just recommend staying away from a brass-framed cap & ball revolver.

As far as what you will need...a powder flask, powder measure, caps, balls, some kind of lube (either lubed wads to load under the ball or crisco for over the ball). I prefer homemade lubed wads. You'll also need cleaning equipment and a nipple wrench to fit the smaller revolver nipples. If you don't already have them, a good set of gunsmithing screwdrivers is invaluable for keeping the screws on your new revolver from being marred using cheap hardware-store screwdrivers.

I like the .36 cal for a starter. More shots per pound of powder/lead.

My first was a brass frame .36 Navy. The accessories cost more than the pistol.

Don't forget something to put all of the accessories in. I use a small tackle box.

Welcome to the forum. These guys are the best.

Any of the following will be a fine starting gun. In NO particular order:
  • 1851 Colt Navy .36 cal
  • 1858 Remington New Army .44 cal
  • 1860 Colt Army .44 cal
  • Rogers and Spencer .44 cal
  • Ruger Old Army .44 cal
  • 1861 Colt Navy .36 cal
I do not recommend the Colt Walker as a first gun as it can be a bit intimidating; it is, however, a great gun to shoot once you're familiar with bp revolvers. The Colt Dragoons are nice but not starters for much the same reason. I agree with staying away from the brass frames; a very popular gun (because it's cheap) is the Pietta 1851 Colt Navy in .44 cal with a brass frame. It's not historically correct (was never made by Colt) and does not suffer abuse or even moderate use well.

Mandatory accoutrements:
  • Powder, real black recommended
  • Balls, .375 for .36 cal, .454 for .44 cal
  • Lubed felt wads or bore grease (Crisco)
  • Caps, size TBD
  • Powder measure, preferably adjustable
  • Nipple wrench
  • Cleaning rod
  • Cleaning jag
  • Cleaning patches
  • Black Powder solvent/cleaner/lubricant (eg, Ballistol)
  • Eye protection
  • Ear protection
There are many, many different cleaner/lubricants; Ballistol was just mentioned as an example. I do not wish to get into the 'which one is best' rant.

Desirable accoutrements:
  • Teeth whitener (you'll be grinning a lot)
  • Powder flask with spout
  • Funnel for filling flask
  • Hand cleaner
  • Wedge puller (Colt guns only)
  • Small brass hammer
  • Brass punch set
  • Gunsmith's screwdriver set
  • Gun belt and holster
  • Bore cleaning brush
  • Loading stand
  • Instruction manual (the devil made me say that)
  • Targets

Mykeal's post has all the answers you need to get started on the right path. Even the bit about the instruction manual. Especially that one! Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

thanks for your help im looking at a traditions 1851 colt navy brand new 44 cal. any pros and cons also if looking at used what to watch out for??

one shot 52 said:
thanks for your help im looking at a traditions 1851 colt navy brand new 44 cal. any pros and cons also if looking at used what to watch out for??
I have no idea what it is that Traditions is selling as an 1851 Colt Navy.

Their web site shows several versions, none of which is period correct despite the claims of 'the authenticity is precise'. The .36 cal gun listing shows a brass frame and rebated cylinder and the specs under it say it's .44 cal. Then they list a .44 cal gun also with a brass frame, and finally a .44 cal 1851 with a 'steel frame' that shows the same picture of a brass framed gun! It's all just utter nonsense.

The brass framed .44 cal Traditions 1851 Colt Navy is made by Pietta. It is not an authentic gun and, having the brass frame, is subject to damage if shot repeatedly with heavy loads. It is not a gun for a new user, despite it's cheap price (which should be a clue).

The 1851 Colt Navy is a .36 cal gun with a steel frame. If you can purchase such a gun from Traditions by all means do so. However, from the data on their web site I'd be inclined to look elsewhere because I have no idea what it is they're really selling.

in our suppliers catalogue it offers the gun in 44 cal with either abrass or steel frame 229.00 for brass 259.00 for steel

Get a Uberti .36 caliber 1851 or 1861 Navy. If you want a revolver in this frame size in .44 caliber, get a Uberti 1860 Colt Army. You will be getting a replica of a revolver that actually existed made by a company known for quality.

The Traditions guns are guns that never existed made by Lord knows what outfit to the lowest price point and sold by the company that is basically the new CVA. None of which is a good thing. You get what you pay for.

Take a good look at the Uberti offerings. The fit and finish is very good. They function well. If it matters to you, the Uberti revolvers don't have the stampings all over the barrel.

1851 Navy .36 cal
1861 Navy .36 cal
1860 Army .44 cal

Good luck and enjoy yourself. :thumbsup:

One Shot
If your interested, the reason everyone is saying the 1851 Colt in .44 caliber with a rebated (stepped) cylinder never existed is because it didn't.

Although the original Colt 1851 was available in only .36 caliber that should only be important to you if you are truly interested in owning a Colt that is historically correct.

If your not, the 1851 Colt will give you the grip and frame size that is famous for its pointability and fit for most folks hands.

My first Colt style C&B was a steel framed .44 caliber like your thinking about. I'm not sure who built it but as it was Italian I suspect it was Pietta. It was a very nice pistol and I regret that I sold it.

Why did I sell it?
Because I got a wild hair that I should only have pistols that were historically correct.
While I have accomplished that, I still must admit that the larger .44 caliber is (to me) a little more fun to shoot.

Now, if you want a historically correct .44 Colt you need to look at the 1860 Army Colt.
It does have a slightly larger grip on it so, in my opinion it doesn't fit my hand as well as the slightly smaller 1851.

i just looked cabelas has the 58 rem in .36 and .44 steel frame for $219 the 61 navy steel in .36 for $239. these prices are way better then the traditions. they sre pittea made.

also i think they have free shipping right now plus starter kits for the pistols. nice thing about cabelas is if you have a problem they will work with you.

"For a few dollars more"buy the Uberti. I have the 1858 Remington,1860 Army, and 3rd Model Dragoon(all 3 are Ubertis)Love all three but favor the colts(somethin about that colt feel).I replaced all the nipples with Treso brand from the Possibles Shop.Check out the prices at the Possibles Shop as Don's prices are sometimes better than Cabela's. If he's out, try Taylor's in Virginia.Can't go wrong with Uberti, I've also got three of their cartridge guns.

bob 308--My intent wasn't to criticize you. I was offering my 2cents worth to oneshot 52.When I replied, I clicked on the reply button at the bottom of your reply. How do you get to "in response to---" for future replies on my part? Once again, didn't mean to dis you.

Mykeal's post covers the bases thoroughly, as usual. :bow: The only thing I would add is, if possible, to handle the various makes and models side by side. I was able to do so when I got my first C&B revolver: Colts and Remingtons, Ubertis and Piettas. I went in expecting to get a Colt 1851 Navy. I walked out with a Uberti 1860 Colt Army. I learned I don't care for the grip size and balance on the Remington (strictly personal preference). And the Ubertis I handled felt slicker/more precise than the Piettas. Nothing against Pietta but that day, with those guns, Ubertis had the edge. I had planned to get my wife either a Colt 1851 or Remington 1858 thinking their smaller grips would be more comfortable to her small hands. To my surprise, she preferred the grip size and balance of the Colt 1860 as well. We now have two of them.

The other thing is now that I have several C&B revolvers (and more to follow), I set up a separate shooting box just for them. When I go to the range with the revolvers that is usually all I shoot and it's convenient to be able to grab one box and know all the accoutrements are at hand. There is some duplication with my ML rifle gear, but it's worth it for the convenience.

Jeff

i took it no other way other then it is your opion. and i ment it no other way then that was my opion. this is an open forum.

i was just pointing out he should shop around there are some good deals out there.

Back