• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for ideas and pictures!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flinter987

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I've been thinking about building a flintlock pistol from scratch. Looking for something circa 1820 - 1845 ish. I know flintlock was in the process of being replaced at this time, but I'm sure they were still around. Probably even styles from previous years wouldn't be a strech. Am wanting to make one pretty PC to that era of America, but have also toyed with other styles and ideas and am open to other ideas as well. Do you guys have some pictures of your builds? Would love to see them! I did a kit a couple years back, now would like to start from a block of wood and order the other parts I need. Any advice?
Thanks!
Flinter

I built this one based on a scale plastic model.
The stock was carved out of a Curly Maple blank I got from Dixie Gunworks.

The barrel I got from Rahl, the small Siler lock, trigger guard, trigger etc from TOTW.
CASE1.jpg

Although this is in Percussion, it would have been easier to make if I would have used the Flintlock.

I must add, building a Pistol from scratch is almost as much work as building a rifle.
The only real difference is your working with smaller parts.

It is sometimes called a "French dueling-pistol" grip.

The carved grooves were also a French feature.

The grips cap is a casting I made using the plastic models cap as a pattern.

I had some Cerrobend on hand and because it melts at very low temperatures (180 degrees F.) I figured I could make a plaster of Paris mold and fill it with the alloy.

It did turn out nicely but I had to pour it 3 times before I got a casting without surface voids in it.

PS: I do NOT recommend using Plaster of Paris for a mold if the alloy being cast has a melting temperature higher than boiling water.

Plaster of Paris will hold a LOT of moisture in it unless it is baked and this moisture will turn to steam if a 300-700 degree alloy is poured into it. That can cause an explosion that will blow the liquid metal all over the place including the unfortunate person pouring the casting.

Back