• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for info on another old Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyF

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi all, while I’m waiting on an answer on another musket
I’m also looking at a Springfield musket 1827 dated (model 1816) percussion conversion. Fellow is saying it’s 50” in length.
Barrel has a dovetail cutout for a rear sight?
Would this model even had a rear sight originally?
Middle and front barrel bands are very close together and barrel has no bayonet lug. To me looks like another shortened barrel but I’d like your input and opinions.
I attached a few pictures,
Thanks again in advance.
Tony

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpeg
    IMG_0918.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0919.jpeg
    IMG_0919.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 74639070854__C09DEAF9-9CE6-404C-A153-622AC4EFA3BD.jpeg
    74639070854__C09DEAF9-9CE6-404C-A153-622AC4EFA3BD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0921.jpeg
    IMG_0921.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
When made in 1827 it didn't have a rear sight. That notch was added by Hewes and Phillips in 1862/3 when they percussion converted it. The alteration date should be stamped atop the breech. They also replaced the front sight during the alteration. Originally it was a low profile brass sight on the lower strap of the top barrel band. To make used of the new rear sight they installed a taller iron sight on the top band's forward strap.
The barrel has been cut down from its original 42 inch length, and the stock trimmed back as well. This was not mart of the H&P conversion.

The H&P stands for Hewes and Phillips. They converted flintlocks muskets to percussion during the early years of the civil war. Yes the conversions had a variety of rear sights, which is missing on this one. It's probably been rifled. But like the other musket you are looking at, this has been cut down, and it's value is lower than a complete example

Gentleman,I appreciate all the great information.
So would these have been shortened to make them more easily carried or possibly because the end of the barrel or stock was damaged?
I guess there’s no definitive way of determining?

Latest posts

Back