• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for maps of different longrifle counties

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hi.
is there a source for maps, a single map preferably, that shows where all the different counties which define gun types are located.

I have one in my car I got from a visitor's center in PA. ::

http://fp.enter.net/~kirschbaum/parifleschools.htm

PAcountyMap.gif

Note that some of them are new/different from the mid 1700's. Lehigh was a valley, not a county, until the 19th century whan it was split from Montgomery. Poke anyone in the eye who call's 'em a "Lehigh County" longrifle.

(I live right in the cup of the "Y" of New York on the above map. :front:)

hi.
is there a source for maps, a single map preferably, that shows where all the different counties which define gun types are located.

I don't have a map, but I can show you this...

stocks1.jpg

stocks2.jpg

Kaufman's book Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifles shows nice maps illustrating the development of the current counties of PA. There were also Maryland and Virginia areas of note. I grew up in Lackawanna and Schuylkill cos, and later lived in Centre Co for 8 years. It is 100 degrees down here now and I miss those PA Falls!

Note that some of them are new/different from the mid 1700's. Lehigh was a valley, not a county, until the 19th century whan it was split from Montgomery. Poke anyone in the eye who call's 'em a "Lehigh County" longrifle.

Northampton County was founded in 1752 from parts of Bucks County (an original PA county) and named for Northamptonshire, England. It included the area that is now Lehigh County (as well as what is now Wayne, Monroe, Northumberland, Schuylkill, and Carbon Counties). Lehigh Co. was formed from Northampton Co. in 1812.

Here's a nice link with maps showing how the county boundaries changed from 1751 to 1812.

Lehigh County, PA Boundary Maps

Although you'd be PC in calling it a Northampton style, I would think that someone who refers to a "Lehigh County" style would probably be referring to a shop that is currently in Lehigh County (eg., Moll).

Proud to be a Lehigh Co. resident! :hatsoff:

Although you'd be PC in calling it a Northampton style, I would think that someone who refers to a "Lehigh County" style would probably be referring to a shop that is currently in Lehigh County (eg., Moll).

Let me reword that (after reading it, it doesn't sound right) :sorry:...

Although you'd be PC in calling it a Northampton style, I would think that someone who refers to a "Lehigh County" style would probably be referring to a shop that was located in what currently is Lehigh County (eg., Moll, Rupps)

Back