• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking forward to deer season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
While I have been deer hunting with my traditional archery gear this Fall, I've found myself looking forward to breaking out a muzzleloader in about a week from now.

I'm still leaning toward using my "fowler", having taken a gobbler this Spring with it as well as a truckload of squirrels since mid August. Rounding out the year with a smoothbore buck would bring a sense of satisfaction somehow.

Still, the thought of roaming the hills with my little Seneca 45, brings a smile to my face. I've only taken it deer hunting once, taking last year's buck with her. A handier, more accurate companion would be hard to come by for the deer woods.

Decisions, decisions.....

How 'bout you all giving me a nudge toward one gun or the other? :haha:

Best regards, Skychief

You answered your own question...go with your fowler, and round out the year. It's performed well all year, it deserves a chance at a nice buck.

You won't regret it. :thumbsup:

Skychief said:
Decisions, decisions.....

How 'bout you all giving me a nudge toward one gun or the other? :haha:

I'll often hunt with one gun and then for no reason change my mind (sometimes at the last minute) and take another gun. It just depends on what I'm feeling like at the moment. Its a good "problem" to have! :thumbsup:

I would go with the fowler, it is like killing a deer with trad archery equipment compared to a wheel bow.

I was planning to hunt the TN opener with my fowler but it started throwing fliers, really bad ones. I think I resolved the issue but ran out of 1F before I could confirm the fix. I killed a deer with it last year and really felt like I had accomplished something.

My .54 flinter will be with me this weekend, shots are few and far between where I hunt, I wouldn't take a chance on wounding one with my fowler.

i'm not taking the .45 out this season either i'm planning on using my .50 kentucky. season starts monday but i don't think i will be able to make it, my wife just had surgery. i'm hoping some of her friends will come over to sit with her.

First, best of luck this year! I hope last year's "twin" gives you a good opportunity. :thumbsup:

Over the last two years I have sold off all my percussions except my Pedersoli Rocky Mtn Hawken. As I have moved to flinters, I still "share" deer hunting time between them and the Rocky Mtn. My attachment to that gun means it gets some hunting time every year I'm deer hunting. It's been a reliable partner for years and has more than earned time afield.

So my nudge is...decide day by day! You don't really have to choose between them, use them both! If you're going to a stand that has pretty short-range shots, maybe the fowler. If a stand that has some more open shots, maybe the Seneca. Or, whatever tickles your fancy that day. Mornings with one, evenings with the other? Flip a coin in the morning...heads fowler, tails Seneca? :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Describe your hunting area.

The fowler will work anywhere the archery gear will (especially if you're a trad shooter without sights). If you have some greater ranges the .45 might be a better choice.

I've come to be a fowler fan. Mine's a 0.662" and that's a one ounce ball. I have no hesitation in thinking that would be anything but effective out to the 60 yards I limit myself to with that gun (vs. 25 yards with my recurves). Much lighter - about 30% lighter - than my flint rifle.

Well, I guess I'm the odd duck here, but I'm taking my .45 Seneca this year. Lightweight, handy and deadly, I'm loving this rifle more & more! Whichever way you go, have a happy and safe season!

I feel ya my man. I've been out since Sept 15th with my trad. bow for deer, usually what I wait the rest of the year for, but find myself wishing I had my flinter with me. I have several weeks to wait before M.L.deer season.

Go with the fowling piece. You've got your turkey and some small game with it, go for the trifecta.

I'll be taking Mjolnir, my H/A Underhammer (under gunned) 45 cal for some woods walks this year..
Opening day here was 31 Oct for residents.Didn't go out,young fella asked to hunt the ceder thicket/ area I usually hunt,,go for it I said.Later that morning, down at the store, bunch of porch setters draped over the sides of young fellas pick up,,gawking and jawing,,admiring a 219 lb field dressed buck.Young fella says, "Never see the like of it,8 o'clock and it walked almost on me,had to shoot it in self-defense.
Weather changing ,cold wind right out of the West/North West,feels like snow coming.
So me and Mjolnir will be on a woods walk,,this evening.

Back