• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to buy a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegalante

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm very new to this stuff but I'm interested in buying a flintlock. Can you please give me some pro's and con's about the different manufacturers and models that are out there? I don't own any muzzle loaders yet so this will be my first acquisition. I'd like to keep it and pass it along to one of my twin boys. Unfortunately, money is my problem as well as everyone else's. I'd like to spend no more than $350 max.

I'm familiar with the Thompson line but can you give me some info on the Lymans and others?

:master: :master: :master:

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Bison

Bison,

Might check out the other post on buying a traditional production flintlock...

The TC is a good rifle for the money, if you are not interested in period correctness, that is what a lot of us started with. If you are interested in participating in reenactments or living history programs and could spend a few more $$ there may be other options. Custom rifles are a higher quality and look more perid correct than the TC, Lyman, and other "production" rifles. Perhaps look at some of the auction sites or gun shows and find a used one. Either way, welcome to the darkside, and hope your experiences will be as good as mine have been...

Ivery

Bison- The Lyman Great Plains Rifle (referred to as the GPR in many posts) is available in .50 and .54, flintlock or percussion. I have the .54 in percussion, with the slow twist barrel for shooting round balls. You can choose the slow twist for round balls, or a fast twist for conicals. I do not believe you could do better for $330.00 - 400.00. Although a "production gun", the rifle is authentic-looking and handles well :imo:. Check Wal-Mart, they can look it up in a catalog behind the sporting goods desk and order it. And try Mid-South Shooters' Supply (their prices are about the cheapest I've seen for this rifle).

Check your local gun shops for used flintlocks. They may have a couple around and the prices are usually at their lowest this time of year.

If you can't find a decent deal on a used gun. The Lyman Trade Rifle is a good shooting traditionally styled (not by any means an exact copy of anything that was actually used in the 18th or 19th centuries) at a good price.

I just got a .58 caliber T/C Renegade from Fox Ridge Outfitters. They list this gun for $400+ on their website. I ordered mine through a local shop and they got it for me for $330. The Renegade is also available from Fox Ridge in .50 or .54 caliber.

Cabela's also sells a their version of a Hawken rifle at a pretty reasonable price, I think. The Cabela's Hawken is made by the same company that makes Lyman Muzzleloaders. The three guns that I've mentioned are the best deals that I know of. There are cheaper guns, but I don't think they'll match the quality of Lyman, T/C, or Cabela's. I think for the money you are willing to spend there are some very good quality flintlocks available.

In my opinion, and this is purely subjective, of the three guns I've mentioned the T/C is by far the beat buy. You will get an American made muzzleloader with an excellent warranty and great customer service. The only drawback is that the gun is not a historically accurate reroduction if that's what you're interested in.

I would have to second the suggestion of Dixon's. While you are at it, make plans to attend thier gun maker's fair in July; it's great!
:imo:
As for Charlie Stone... no disrespect, but I find the guy to be a bit... ahem... interesting. I remember the first time I went there; he wasn't wearing any pants, and was rubbing WD-40 on his knees. Speaking of which, if you bring or buy a gun there, be prepared for it to be bathed in the stuff, even if you don't ask him to do so. Also be careful about prices. There are not price tags on 90% of the stuff, and then you end up paying double what it goes for elswhere.
:m2c:

Anthony, There was a guy with a similar name who had a re-enactment supply shop back as early as '74 who was a little "different"...this Charlie Stone isn't a guy from NJ who ran for the state legislature on the Federalist ticket back in the early '80's is he? Just wondering...Hank

Hank,

He is! He still has a noose hanging (no pun intended) up in his shop window. And, man, just don't get him started on the topic of public hangings!

Believe it or not, I have heard of others doing this. Something about the penetrating qualities of WD-40 and arthritis. Can't believe it would be good for you, but to each his own.

Guys,

Thanks for all the good info. Unfortunately I witnessed the boxer shorts thing last summer but I didn't see the WD-40 can in his hand.

I made it up to Dixon's today and what a nice shop and close to Cabelas. My wife won't be liking that.

I'm not going to buy right now unless I find an awesome deal on a used gun but me thinks me going to wait and buy a new Lyman GPR. It shouldered real nice and had excellent balance as far as I was concerned.

Thanks for the info and I hope to learn much more from the site.

Bison

I've heard of WD40 used all kinds of ways. Some even spray it on their fishing lures. Claim it covers up human scent. Bison, I bought a Lyman "Trade Rifle" for about $250. It isn't real authentic period correct, but I've never gotten kicked out of a rendezvous for having it. The High Plains is at Gary, SD, in June. I'll see what happens there.

I'm sorry if I implied that he was naked... by "not wearing any pants", I meant "no pants", not "no pants and no underwear". This was actually winter, though, where he was only in the boxers (to be 100% correct he also had on an undershirt, vest, and a neckbrace). It is worth one visit though, just to ask about the public hangings and if he can get you a tank. Don't forget to ask about his involvment in the Bay of Pigs while you are at it!

CopyofCopyofLymantraderifle4.jpg

A while back I was in the same situation as you are. I had read posts by all these flintlock shooters about how much fun they are and decided I had to have one. My first one was a used Thompson Center Hawkins in .50 caliber. This has been a great shooting rifle. Unfortunately it caused the bug to fester in me and I wanted another rifle.

I studied a lot of posts and finally decided on a .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle Flintlock. I must say this is an excellent shooting and functioning rifle. I had been trying some different loads and finally settled on 100 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball. I will try some Goex 3f maybe tomorrow, but was more then pleased with the results of the rifle today.

It was such a nice day I hauled out three rifles, the last being the Trade Rifle. It functioned perfect...

If you're looking for an inexpensive rifle to get you started in this area of black powder, I would recommend this rifle... It shoots conicals well and roundball excellent so far.

Bison Check out the possible shop for a flintlock,I got my GPR from him and was happy with his service and the rifle. :winking: Rocky

Charlie's prices are kinda high, but his advice is free and dead on target, -which oftentimes ends up saving ya $$.
Back when, I stumbled in there lookin for temptation; we got to talkin, he made a phone call and in ten minutes a fellow showed up with a super sweet .54 GPR caplock with all the fixins, -which went home with me for 250.
.....Longshot

Yea, he mentioned something about The Last of the Mohicans as well. He had some rifle stock war clubs up against the wall, and claimed he made them for the movie. The only problem was that they were about 1/2 the size of the ones they used in the film. They were still interesting, though, but at $85 I passed. I then got home and found a much nicer one on eBay for $30.

Bison,

Here's a link to a shop you are going to read plenty about.

http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/

It's less than one hour drive from the Perkasie area. When I was looking for a kit the best price I found was at

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

After adding the shipping cost the difference was less than $5.00 what Dixon's is selling the GPR kits for. I'm not suggesting a kit, only a place to go look at rifles and compare prices. $5.00 isn't much when you get a chance to handle the rifle and pick the wood that you most favor.

They also have a large selection of new and used guns on consignment that are reasonably priced. Chuck and Gregg Dixon (father and son) will give you suggestions on loads, balls, patches etc.

Another nearby source of information and "stuff" is Charlie Stone at Neshanic Depot, Route 611, Ottsville,Pa 610-847-5627. The prices are higher but Charlie is willing to teach you everything he knows. Be ready to deal with a real horse trader when you go. You'll see the "Muzzleloaders" sign on the right as you climb a hill a few miles north of Doylestown.

When you get your rifle if you want somebody to help get you started send me a PM. I just got my membership to the Bucks County Fish and Game Club tonight so I won't be waiting for the public range to open.

Good choice going with the flinter. You are in for some real fun. For my money GPR .54 is the way to go.

Old Salt

Thanxs for the tip On Dixon's. I wanted to shoot today but it was raining so I went to Dixons. What a great shop!!!!

:redthumb:

Bison,

Here's a link to a shop you are going to read plenty about.

http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/

It's less than one hour drive from the Perkasie area. When I was looking for a kit the best price I found was at

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

After adding the shipping cost the difference was less than $5.00 what Dixon's is selling the GPR kits for. I'm not suggesting a kit, only a place to go look at rifles and compare prices. $5.00 isn't much when you get a chance to handle the rifle and pick the wood that you most favor.

They also have a large selection of new and used guns on consignment that are reasonably priced. Chuck and Gregg Dixon (father and son) will give you suggestions on loads, balls, patches etc.

Another nearby source of information and "stuff" is Charlie Stone at Neshanic Depot, Route 611, Ottsville,Pa 610-847-5627. The prices are higher but Charlie is willing to teach you everything he knows. Be ready to deal with a real horse trader when you go. You'll see the "Muzzleloaders" sign on the right as you climb a hill a few miles north of Doylestown.

When you get your rifle if you want somebody to help get you started send me a PM. I just got my membership to the Bucks County Fish and Game Club tonight so I won't be waiting for the public range to open.

Good choice going with the flinter. You are in for some real fun. For my money GPR .54 is the way to go.

Old Salt

Thanxs for the tip on Dixons I wanted to shoot today but it was raining so I went to Dixons. What a great shop!!!!

:redthumb:

Bison,
I sent you a private e-mail about my T/C 50, But I don't know if I am over my limit.
Make me an offer on it

Back