• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loose cock screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arw22lr

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A few days ago, while hunting, I fired at a doe & missed. Had a nice hang fire (due mostly I think to the wet snow that had been falling), and of course no follow-through. Later I found that the cock screw was loose, and the cock wobbled about some. I don't know if it contributed to the hang fire, or if it's detrimental to accuracy, but it now will be something I will routinely check for tightness.

Take the screw out, clean the threads, & apply some Loc-Tite before you put it back in. You won't have any more trouble with it. :thumbsup:

Seeing I don't like "buggered up" screw slots and the slots in some cock screws are very narrow, I resorted to filing a hex on the cock screw knob and use a socket wrench. The hex isn't all that noticeable and surely does facilitate installing a tightly held flint.....Fred

Lyman, RCBS, MidwayUSA, Brownell's and several other suppliers sell gunsmith screwdrivers, with interchangeable bits. I find replacement bits now at my hardware store. These are magnetic to be held in the shank of the screwdriver. I don't think they are going to cost more than $25.00.

That is the screwdriver to use on ALL gun screws, so invest the money to obtain one, and you should have a proper screw driver to fit those thin slots in the cockscrew. :v :hmm: :thumbsup:

For each of my flintlocks (not many) I have taken a stubby screwdriver and filed the tip to fit the lockbolts, usually fits the cockscrew top jaw bolt as well---but not the actual cockscrew holding th entire piece to the tumbler, those often seem to require a gunsmiths screwdriver. Some top jaw bolts have a hole in them for a nail or larger turnpin to be put in.Good smoke, Ron

Yep, my gun is cased to and from my stand. The first thing I do after taking it out of the case is check the flint/cock for any kind of play. If any I tighten it up.

Back