• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loose GM barrel in TC tang

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVAED

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right section of the forum to ask such a question, but here goes. I have a TC one inch channel rifle with a Green Mt. 50 caliber barrel. I just bought it recently. The barrel is loose in the tang. It has a good bit of play in it. I am considering two options: 1. bedding the barrel to bring it up to tighten the tang or 2. lnletting the tang into the stock a little more. It is already a little below the surface so I am not sure how great of an idea that is. Someone else gave me the idea of placing a couple pieces of metal tape on the top of the hook. I put some black tape on it and it tightened it up some, but became more loose as I was shooting today. Or could I put some JB weld on top of the hook, let it dry and file it down to add just a little to the hook?

The barrel is loose in the tang. It has a good bit of play in it. I am considering two options: 1. bedding the barrel to bring it up to tighten the tang or 2. lnletting the tang into the stock a little more. It is already a little below the surface so I am not sure how great of an idea that is.

If you think it is too low to "inlet" anymore, than I would not suggest it. "Bedding the barrel to bring it up to tighten the tang", could you elaborate that?

Well I worked it out. Unscrewed the tang and found that someone had shimmed the tang up with a bit of glue or something. Took it out and now it fits much more snuggly. Also seems that the hammer hits the nipple better. Thanks. I placed the shim beside the tang for emphasis.
upload_2019-2-21_21-0-1.jpeg

Definitely can do that, This was a “Quick Fix” on my 1” Rice .45 Cal Drop in, It was a little sloppy at the Tang as well, This fixed that, My next step will be Bedding it, But this works REALLY well to get you by

vT0s73gl.jpg

Another Rifle i made a bed for the Front end (Thanks to Sabotloader for showing me this) Permatex Ultra Blue just forward of the Wedge key, I shoot this rifle more than all of my others put together, .45 Cal Green Mountain LRH

NS5RJtX.jpg

uLfshXL.jpg

IdahoLewis, Do you put anything on the barrel to keep it from sticking while it is drying? What is the process, other than those things obvious in the pictures?

Another Rifle i made a bed for the Front end (Thanks to Sabotloader for showing me this) Permatex Ultra Blue just forward of the Wedge key, I shoot this rifle more than all of my others put together, .45 Cal Green Mountain LRH

Tremendous!! Gotta remember that - thanks!

NS5RJtX.jpg

uLfshXL.jpg

Well I worked it out. Unscrewed the tang and found that someone had shimmed the tang up with a bit of glue or something. Took it out and now it fits much more snuggly. Also seems that the hammer hits the nipple better. Thanks. I placed the shim beside the tang for emphasis.View attachment 5108

Congrats on the fix.

It appears too me that the previous owner “may” have
placed that shim under the tang to bring it up closer too level
with the wood .

But I don’t understand how that would make the tang loose?

If anything “I” would have thought it would have made the barrel harder to get the wedge key in ?

Is that a TC Hawken or a Renegade?

“My” first thought was someone “may” have
put a 15/16” barrel on a 1” stock...

Well it is Hawken, one inch stock I never measured the barrel to be honest. Just bought it a week or so ago. I will check. As to it being loose. It is a little hard to describe but when the hammer was pulled back, therefore no tension from the hammer to hold it in place, you could take hold of the nipple area and pull it up a little, maybe a 32nd. If you hit your hand on the barrel, to make sure all the powder was down it would rattle. The space was between the top of the flat on the hook breech plug and the tang.

Latest posts

Back