• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Louisiana event

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The annual Spring French Marine gathering at Ft St Jean Baptiste in Natchitoches, LA is this Fri-Sat-Sun. Participants are invitation only (juried), but visitors are welcome. If any of y'all are in the area please come visit us. This fort is a correct reproduction of one 1st built here by the French ca. 1716 (the current one is based on plans drawn up by a visiting French military engineer in 1733). It was (and will be this weekend) manned by a unit of Marines. The site was also a major trading post for the French and a village of allied Natchitoches Indians (a Caddoan people). Civilians (hunters, traders, militia, etc) will also be present. My wife and I will be there all day Sat. but cannot be there all weekend due to other commitments. It is worth a visit, plus the historic town near the fort is worth a visit with many quaint shops and good eateries. This is a pre-1760 living history event and the out of sight visitors center has a nice film and small museum in it. The only battle of note that took place here was during the Natchez War (1730s)when a band of enemy Natchez Indians attacked the fort, but were driven off. So far we have not done a battle reenactment, but I think one is being planned. A sister site, Los Adaes, a Spanish fort of the same era lies 14 miles to the west and is also worth visiting.

Mike,

I attended that event about 4 years ago and had a very good time in that very pretty little town. I wish I were close enough to come by and visit. Maybe in about 3 years I will retire and move to where I will be able to meet you there.

CS

Look forward to it. Louisiana is awaiting you! This area thankfully escaped most hurricane damage (minor wind damage here and there)and it has been business as usual, except for lots of refugees being here still. I think some folks like it here better than the coast and may stay. Looking at upper 70s and mostly sunny here Saturday.

Latest posts

Back