• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube for Maxi

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have cast bullets for a long time and just recently returned to casting RB's for my own use. I have looked at the Maxi or Minne molds but have no idea if it is necessary or not to lube these. I would guess if they are lubed it would be more positive than negative. So question if How do you lube these ?? Sorry if this is a repeated question or just down right out of place.

Crisco shortening, cheap, effective. Do not fire dry Minie's, it will lead your rifling.

You could try "pan lubing" (you tube has a bit on this)

Take your lube and melt it in a double boiler, get a shallow pan, set your maxi's up-right in the shallow pan, gently pour in the lube to the top of the lube groove, let it harden, push out. Or take a metallic cartridge case the right size, knock out the primer, drill it out a tad, use the case as a "cookie cutter" to slide over the top of the bullet cutting the lube, then push out of the case with a small object!

Emmert's lube recipe.

50% Crisco
40% Bee's wax
10% Canola oil

Melt and mix these by weight . . . if you need a "color" add a crayon, or your favorite candle . . .

Thank you this is what I was looking for. Had an idea of something on this line but I have no shame in saying I don't know.

A .50 BMG fired case fits just right as the cookie cutter. A friend of mine used his drill press to drill-out the primer pocket, and a small wooden dowel is used to push-out the lubed .50 cal Maxi's. Works great!

Dave

I'm partial to whatever brand of shortening the wife bought last time. Just have to be sure and leave her enough for pie crust!

Not knocking your lube, having shot a ton of maxi balls with crisco, but, it tends to run pretty bad on a warm day. So does the bore butter for that matter. The Emmerts lube posted will give better results as will any fairly stiff BPC lube.

Thanks I learned something today. :bow: I even have a few empty 50 cal cases as a local manufacturer produces them for the Canadian Forces. :hatsoff:

I would like to try that Emmert's lube, as I see the same results with Crisco (gets runny on hot days) Any good sources for beeswax?

Also...would the Emmert's lube work on conical pistol bullets, since I cast and shoot those as well?

Emmerts works great on any conicals as long as the speed is kept below 1400 to 1500 fps. When using on blackpowder bullets I like to add a small amount of lanolin. If you need bees wax PM me I have a link for it.

CaptainKirk said:
I would like to try that Emmert's lube, as I see the same results with Crisco (gets runny on hot days) Any good sources for beeswax?

Also...would the Emmert's lube work on conical pistol bullets, since I cast and shoot those as well?

It is available on line. You can also get it from a craft store. It's a bit pricey per pound, but it will last a while. Bee keepers and farmers markets would also be a good source. :thumbsup:

HH 60

CaptainKirk said:

http://www.rudyshoney.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome!

Glad to be of help! A .50 A.E. case will work in a pinch, but you can get your grip better around the BMG case! I usually twist the case as I'm pushing it into the lube around the Maxi, as it seems to cut better and the lube stays in the rings better too!

Dave

Mike Brines said:
What kind of pies does she make? Cherry? Key Lime?
Can I be your friend? :haha:

She made apple pie for Christmas dinner. I got to help (Peeled and chopped the apples. And blended the flour and shortening because my wrists are stronger.) And, she made a pot pie with the turkey leftovers. Made up an orange, lemon, chile pepper maranade and sauce on the turkey this year. She done good.

CaptainKirk said:

I used it on some of my pistol loads, but it is a tad soft . . .

A 140gr 9mm boolit that I load in 38 spl cases . . . as they come out at .3594 . . .
MiHec359-14038spl.jpg

The Emmerts is a bit sticky, so . . . since I honed out my lube/sizer die from .358 to .359 some "leaks" around the edge, and gets on the bottom! Which is a bit messy, so I wipe it off with a paper towel which is time consuming, I now use a harder lube.
halfturn.jpg

Once I get some "free time" I hope to try these boolits in my .36 Seneca, even though I do have some conicals for it already . . . Can't hurt to try a few . . .

I get my bees wax straight from the bee keeper when I get my honey and pollen! I sure miss having my own hives, when I move I'll get some more! BTW I payed $6 a pound for my wax! I also use it on thread for sewing leather . . .

123.DieselBenz said:
You could try "pan lubing" (you tube has a bit on this)

Take your lube and melt it in a double boiler, get a shallow pan, set your maxi's up-right in the shallow pan, gently pour in the lube to the top of the lube groove, let it harden, push out. Or take a metallic cartridge case the right size, knock out the primer, drill it out a tad, use the case as a "cookie cutter" to slide over the top of the bullet cutting the lube, then push out of the case with a small object!

Emmert's lube recipe.

50% Crisco
40% Bee's wax
10% Canola oil

Melt and mix these by weight . . . if you need a "color" add a crayon, or your favorite candle . . .

Seems like Lee Loaders used to come with a piece of tubing "the right size" to use as a cookie cutter for pan lubing, you just kept cookie cutting and each bullet pushed the last one out the top so you didn't have to use a stick through a primer pocket hole.

Latest posts

Back